We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation & Cost

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Transportation & Cost

Hi All,

I am going to India end of the month I am starting in Goa, Calangute, moving on to Mumbai then on towards New Delhi .

1. Getting from Goa to Mumbai, in terms of cost would I be best getting a bus or train there?

2. I am staying at the Castle house hostel (if you are aware that is), how far is the bus & train station from there?

3. When in New Delhi, I want to visit Agra to see the Taj and also Veransi where the Ganges are, please could you advise the best cost effective way to visit these places please.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
Gurgaon
Level Contributor
276 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation & Cost

Hi bobbyupson88,

Here are my inputs.

1. Getting from Goa to Mumbai, in terms of cost would I be best getting a bus or train there? Bus would be an overnight journey though pretty comfy considering you get Volvo buses regularly and trains likewise. Though getting a confirmed seat in trains is what you should aim for. Timing would nearly be the same for both.

2. I am staying at the Castle house hostel (if you are aware that is), how far is the bus & train station from there? Both train & bus stations would be about 13-15kms in same direction. I haven't been to this place though.

3. When in New Delhi, I want to visit Agra to see the Taj and also Veransi where the Ganges are, please could you advise the best cost effective way to visit these places please. - For Taj, Agra get a train ticket of Shatabdi that runs early morning and in 3 hours you'd be in Agra as that's the quickest way. Won't be a bummer in costs but saves a lot on time vs. bus.

For Varanasi, you can hop on a flight from Delhi itself which would be an an hour approx to Varanasi though a train would take easily about 12-15hrs depending on the option you choose. Train fair would be more of less near to what a direct flight would be.

Hope this helps, enjoy your stay. I am getting my 1 YO daughter to Goa in Sept too :)

Cheers,

Rahul

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation & Cost

If you want to book a train ,do it now as Mumbai - Goa trains get filled fast.Volvo option is anytime available.

Nowadays Volvos drop you at Calangute

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation & Cost

Thanks Rahul that's great! :)

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation & Cost

I don't have a confirmed date when i will be leaving Goa, could i buy a ticket which will be open to use on nay date?

Also what would be cheaper in price, going on train or go by Volvo?

Sorry for the questions guys! :)

Level Contributor
2,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation & Cost

There are no open train tickets as trains are normally booked months in advance.... you can try on the day or go for taktal quota 48 hours inadvance or tourist quota, no guarantee of seats being available.

Bus tickets are more readily available and the fares are in line with 3ac travel on trains. You will be able to book them in goa.

Gurgaon
Level Contributor
276 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation & Cost

Hello again :)

Bus journey by a good AC sleeper Volvo, is about 14hrs and would cost you about £28 one side. Can be booked easily on portals or at desk in Goa.

Train travel will be between 11 to 14hrs and pricing will be about

£12 to £16 depending on the train and class you choose, catch being limited availability as advance bookings open 4 months in advance.

Cheers,

Rahul

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation & Cost

Hi Bobby,

You can opt for many buses to Mumbai from Panjim Bus Stand or Mapusa Bus Stand

You can also book the tickets online and need not go personally to book the ticket. Ticket would be valid only for the day and time of the booking

With regards to Mumbai to Delhi, book your Train or Flight tickets in advance to avoid spending a lot.

Reply to: Transportation & Cost
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted