We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utopia Eco Hotel?

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Utopia Eco Hotel?

Has anyone worked with them before? At their instruction, I sent a deposit over a week ago, and have heard nothing since then. They generally have very good reviews, but I'm getting worried that I've been scammed.

8 replies to this topic
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utopia Eco Hotel?

I'm sure you're OK. What probably happened is that you sent the deposit into their bank account. And they haven't bothered to check with their bank lately. But more than likely they don't have the brains to acknowledge receipt of your deposit. Try to contact them http://www.utopiaecohotel.com/location.html because in guatemala most hotels specially the ones run by locals don't check their e-mail on a daily basis. When calling from the US dial 011 (502) plus the eight digits.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utopia Eco Hotel?

I did send an email 2 days ago and one this morning. If I don't hear back soon, I guess I can pursue it with PayPal

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utopia Eco Hotel?

hi,

I was just checking out the link that you put up for that hotel and read this:

All travelers will need a passport valid for six months to enter Guatemala. No visas are required when citizens are from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, U.K. & the U.S.A.

On arrival in the country you will be issued a '1 month tourist' visa, which can be renewed each month for approx. $45 per additional month. After 3 (THREE) months you will have reached the national limit for a tourist visa and you will have to leave the country for three days. Upon return you can either carry on using your 'tourist visa' or apply for a work permit or residency.

This was WAY different than my understanding. Renewing a tourist visa monthly for $45??? I thought it was 3 months and free???

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Utopia Eco Hotel?

Hi Lauren-

I also sent them a deposit recently and had to follow up a few times in order to hear back from them. I think it is just a really busy time for hotels in Guatemala. The reviews all seem to be genuine so I wouldn't worry too much. When are you traveling? I'm there at the end of May and really looking forward to my stay. Maybe just follow up with them again in a few days.

Nikki

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utopia Eco Hotel?

Your passport should be good for at least six months. But as far as I know, your visa when entering the country is good for 90 days and is still free. Aside from the site you mention, I haven't heard or seen anything indicating that things have changed.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utopia Eco Hotel?

Nikki, I will be there in August, and in Guatemala from June until then. I guess it is busy, and I incorrectly assumed that it would calm down after Semana Santa.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Utopia Eco Hotel?

Hey Amanda. I didn't take the time to read their web site. But if that's the case, then it sounds like those guys are trying to rip people off by putting up the wrong information about the entry visa which is good for 90 days and free.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Utopia Eco Hotel?

I did hear back, and everything is fine opwith the reservation

Reply to: Utopia Eco Hotel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted