We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for two days visit?

California
Level Contributor
32 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for two days visit?

We rented a house in Lanquin for three nights. Any suggestions how to spend them? Where can a vegetarian eat besides at home? Ithanks

4 replies to this topic
Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for two days visit?

So Lanquin is the only place you'll stay? if that's the case, I'd do a day at Semuc Champey and a day in Coban. Not sure about strictly vegetarian restaurants but there are a few places in Coban that have awesome local fare, including non-meat dishes--try Casa D'Acuna and the wonderful Xcape Koban in Coban.

If you do get to Coban, tour the Finca Maragrita coffee farm--it's lovely.

Maryland, USA
Level Contributor
207 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for two days visit?

Three nights in Lanquín? Wow. Having books to read and drinking heavily could work to pass the time. Murder mysteries are cool, because you can just leave them behind when you move on. The day trip to Coban, which might be what #1 is suggesting, will take you close to 2 hours each way.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for two days visit?

I am sure the Semuc Chamey pools are on the list. Be sure to explore the Las Maria's caves for high adventure. To get to the caves, just walk up the trail on the opposite site of the bridge. It is good for a couple of hours. Also the Lanquin caves are cool at sunset when the bats fly out. You can lay at the entrance to the cave and let the bats fly over you. It is both cool and creepy.

In Coban, I recommend the Vivero Verapaz for the largest orchid collection in the country. This is an excellent time of year as most of the orchids are in bloom.

There are plenty of smaller villages worth exploring if you have your own car or can manage the collectivo vans.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for two days visit?

I'm guessing you already traveled, since this is an old post, but I will be staying at Utopia Eco Lodge. They do not serve meat since it's difficult to get fresh in the area. They serve vegetarian family style meals 3 times a day, ranging from just 20-40 quetzals depending on which meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner). Maybe this would be an option for you.

As far as activities that haven't been mentioned, there's tubing and swimming.

Reply to: Suggestions for two days visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted