We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
40 reviews
First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

Hi all,

Crotaia forum newby here.

My wife and i are looking to come to Croatia for the first time at the start of September for two weeks.

Trogir is standing out to us at the moment, as it looks like a nice area, and close to a lot of things to do etc.

We are in our late 40's, early 50's, and dont like busy busy places, prefer a bit of charm and quiet, but with restaurants and bars within easy walking distance.

Is September a good time to come?

We love the sunshine so sitting by the pool some days will be lovely, but we also like to get out and about.

Also what sort of prices can we expect to pay food and drink wise?

Wife likes a glass of Rose or 2, and an ice cold beer for me.

Meal wise we are not big eaters, so don't go down the 3 course meal route, normally just a main and possibly a pudding.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have scoured the forum for answers before posting this, but can't quite find the info i'd like.

Chris

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands
Level Contributor
6,519 posts
664 reviews
1. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

I will let others answer most of your questions, but I think the location of Trogir is a good choice for all the reasons you have stated.

We will be visiting Croatia for the first time in May and will be staying near Trogir.

I also picked this location for similar reasons to you, so I think it is a good choice.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

If spending two weeks in the area I'd split it into a two-center stay. Trogir is lovely but very crowded, even in September, though less so. It's tiny so may not have the buzzy café or restaurant culture that bigger towns offer. Cavtat is another idea, perhaps you could manage a week in each. Both have what you seek - charm and quiet, especially Cavtat. If you're after relaxation and little else, you'd be happy in either.

Lots of daytrip possibilities from both should choose.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

FYI - speaking from experience, some apartments are literally right below the flight path so when booking look at maps and inquire. It can be very unsettlingly noisy, as we discovered on our first trip there, but then we were in a less common area near Trogir (will look it up as I do not recall the name).

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

Thanks for the replies.

We aren't too fussed with plane noise, as we both go to Air Shows in the uk and love the planes.

We were in Santorini, Greece last year and loved seeing the planes come in to land above us.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

Excellent. It should be a great fit!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,592 posts
170 reviews
6. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

Trogir is as busy as it gets. Maybe you should look at something close to Trogir, rather than Trogir itself.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

Sorry yes, the place we are looking at is Villa Ana Trogir, which is out of Trogir I believe

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
7,021 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

Villa Ana is in Seget Donji so just outside Trogir. The schools go back after the first week of September so until that happens it is busy - not so madly busy as July or August but still very lively, which is quite good as everything is open, unlike May which is very pre-season. Beer is very good value (half the price as in the UK)and if you buy carafes of wine then they are also good value. Bottles in the supermarket are reasonably priced but bottles of wine in restaurants are weirdly expensive - hence the carafes. Desserts aren't a big thing in Croatia maninly although there pancakes and ice cream are readily available. Lots of good grilled meat, brilliant salads, pasta, risotto and pizza. Fresh fish is expensive though (much is shipped to Italy). You'll be able to get the water taxis or buses into Trogir whilst being somewhere quieter. Trogir has loads of restaurants to suit everyone's pocket and is great for people watching on the riva. Use the buses and go to Primosten and Marina and hire a car to visit Krka national park. Obviously visit Split for at least a day - bus is easiest from Seget Donji. A nice day out is using the Jadronlija ferry that calls in a Seget Donji to visit Mali and Veli Drvenik. Mali Drvenik even has a sandy beach.

9. Re: First time visiting Croatia and looking at Trogir.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2018, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Trogir
Recent Conversations