We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

We're looking to go to Plitvice Lakes National Park for the day from Zagreb in April. How easy is it to do by yourself on the bus? Any idea how frequently the buses run from Zagreb and back? Also any ideas on how much it would cost?

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

We did this trip back in June. It requires a little bit of planning, but as long as you know the bus schedule, it is definitely doable. There is a Plitvice Lakes tourist information office in Zagreb--I don't remember the exact location, but if you ask at the TI in the train station they will tell you where it is. The woman who worked there gave us brochures on the park, bus schedules, and told us which stops to arrive/depart from. She was extremely helpful.

I'm not sure if the buses run as often in the off season, so you'll definitely want to check with the TI. We left Zagreb around 7:30 AM, which had us walking into the park around 10. If you're going in the off season that would probably be a good time to arrive, but I wish we had left Zagreb earlier when we went in the summer. we did buy our tickets the day before, which I'm glad of--it just saved us some stress in the morning.

I don't remember the exact cost of the buses--I want to say around $30 USD per person round trip. The last bus leaves the park around 5, but make sure to get to the stop early because sometimes the buses leave early. I posted a review with info on how to find the bus stop when you're leaving the park so you can look at that if you need it.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 04:22
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Great info.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

Hi,

What does "TI" refer to? "....ask at the TI in the train station...."

What about a one way bus from Zagreb to Plitvice? We're looking for transportation to Plitvice, which we're staying overnight at one of the local hotels.

Many thanks,

e

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

TI refers to 'Tourist Information'!!!!!!

Edited: 29 March 2013, 11:35
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
38 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

Thank you!

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

Has anyone ever rented a scooter to go from Zagreb to Plitvice Lakes N.P.? It seems like people say that the drive in a car isn't too bad but Ive never driven in Europe before and I have heard that a scooter would be a nice way to go. Just haven't ever talked to someone who has done it. We would be making the trip too and from zagreb in early June on a Sunday. Any help would be appreciated!

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

Forget scooter and get behind the wheel.It's safer,faster,drier,cooler.(And less bottom bruising)

Edmonton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

Haha okay that's good to know. Thanks

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

please check the zagreb bus station schedules (look under 'plitvička jezera'), at:

http://voznired.akz.hr/voznired.aspx?lang=en

Enjoy Croatia!

10. Re: Best way to get to Plitvice Lakes National Park from Zagreb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 16:18