We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motovun too small for week?

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Motovun too small for week?

Looking to book a week in late August in Motovun, but worried there won't be enough restaurants or bars to accommodate us and all the crowds. Any thoughts?

8 replies to this topic
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motovun too small for week?

It's a lovely and charming town but tiny and can get overrun by tourist buses during the day in August. Evenings are much better. Hopefully you'll have a car to tour Istria?

Edited: 10 May 2018, 05:14
Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motovun too small for week?

Yes our plan is to have a car, although I'd prefer not to drive out of town in the evenings to eat out.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
4,841 posts
464 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motovun too small for week?

Yopu can count 3 restaurants, 3 taverns, 3 fast foods, 3 caffe bars and a wine bar:

tz-motovun.hr/upload/…Mapa_Motovun_ENDE.pdf

Don't think you will have any troubles...

It's a host to a world known Motovun festival too

http://www.tz-motovun.hr/en

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motovun too small for week?

Mondo has very good pasta and risotto...you may find yourself returning there several times. I'd personally love staying a week in Motovun.

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motovun too small for week?

Ideal situation for Motuvun base in busy August would be sightseeing during daytime and returning when crowds are gone in evening. For more restaurant choice, I suggest you take taxi to local villages. There is Agroturizam Toni in Brkač and Konoba Dorjana in Livade (not Zigante, which is overrated and very expensive)

Mentioned in this post
Toni
Toni
84 Reviews
Motovun, Croatia
Zigante
Zigante
228 Reviews
Livade, Croatia
Essex, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motovun too small for week?

Thanks for the tips.

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Motovun too small for week?

Motovun is a tiny town at the top of a hill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od8WboFtnWU As you can imagine, there's not a huge choice but if you spend your days exploring Istria and having lunches all over (maybe even breakfasts) you will probably be fine. Depending on how many of you will be in the group, of course. Sill, you might actually _want_ to venture away a bit, on some nights, simply for a change as it really is small. Luckily, distances in Istria are rather short. Although, if you plan on drinking alcohol with dinners and can't drive yourself, I'm not sure how readily available taxis are in the area (nor how much they cost).

Mentioned in this post
Istria
Istria
Croatia
Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motovun too small for week?

Take note I don't mean official taxi, there are none in Motovun. Taxi means helpful locals, eg your accommodation owner usually hel out with local transport. For example, I know that if you decide to visit Agroturizam Toni, they will provide transport for you without charge if you contact them in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Toni
Toni
84 Reviews
Motovun, Croatia
Reply to: Motovun too small for week?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Motovun