We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cavtat on a budget

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
30 reviews
Cavtat on a budget

due to unforeseen circumstances (NHS pay ha ha) we will not have as much spending money as first thought, so, we are in Cavtat 30th September for 10 days, staying at the Karmen apartments overlooking the harbour, we will get the bus into Dubrovnik a couple of times and hopefully one trip out to ?? Mostar xx what I am really asking is, is it possible to do this on a tight budget, i.e. sandwiches for lunch and advice for somewhere cheap to eat in the evening, i am looking at £100 per day or less if possible

many thanks, Karen xx

18 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
269 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Cavtat on a budget

I'd say absolutely.

We did three weeks there in June, we booked most of our excursions before we left the UK but spent just under £1000 whilst we were there on food, sun lounger hire most days. Several trips to Dubrovnik by water taxi, evening meals out on the majority of days, sight seeing, lokrum etc.

Bought most alcohol from the supermarket along with breakfasts etc.

We aren't bit pub/bar goers but did have an apartment in a superb spot with views across the bay so were content sitting admiring the view with a glass or several of wine.

Mostar will cost you around £40 each.

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Cavtat on a budget

Thanks Fiona, you have definitely put my mind at rest xxxx yes, I much prefer a balcony with a glass of wine instead of trying to find a seat in a bar xx

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
311 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Cavtat on a budget

Almost next to where you are staying there is a restaurant serving pasta, salads, pizza which also allows you to take the food away, saving on the price of drinks. Main courses range from £5 - £10.

There is a small supermarket near the bus station at the end of the harbour which does warm croissants etc.and a coffee shop/ bakery opposite which is good and reasonably priced.

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Cavtat on a budget

thats great, thank you cumbria girl xxxx wine from the supermarket, takeaway and a night on the terrace overlooking the bay, whats not to like ha ha xx

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Cavtat on a budget

On all food and drink in Hvar between us this year going on the basis of self catered breakfasts in the apartment, lunches for the beach, supermarket drink for chasers, mid range restaurant meals at night with house wine and beer and a brandy afterwards in a bar we spent about £50-55 a day for two give or take occasional extras like a more expensive cocktail or meal a couple of times. So Cavtat should be easily in that average.

Edited: 16 September 2018, 02:45
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
179 reviews
6. Re: Cavtat on a budget

Definitely doable.

We had a couple of bargain meals in the pizza place near where you are staying.

We also had breakfast a few times in Ancora, omelettes, toast and drinks was about £5.

Think someone has already mentioned the bakery near the bus station; great breakfast pastries and sandwiches. Just along from there is a market too, great value fruit.

The bus is a great way to get to Dubrovnik and it’s cheap and they run until very late if you fancy a night out there. Just avoid places to eat on the main street and take the steps up one of the side streets, they are much better value.

As a side bar, if it’s not too much trouble when you get back can you let me know what your apartment is like please as I’m thinking of booking it for our third visit to Cavtat next September. Thanks :-)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Cavtat on a budget

Yes you can easily do that.

Just looked back at our spending there in Aug and we spent almost exactly £100 a day and that was 2 adults plus 2 children including trips to Dubrovnik & Lokrum; pelado, paddle board & kayak hires on several days; aquaparc; bike hire a couple of times and eating out almost every night.

We shopped at the small supermarket which has been mentioned and made our own breakfasts and lunches mostly.

We just had to be a bit careful what we picked from the menu for dinner - there is a potential to spend a lot of money, but usually quite a few inexpensive (and very nice) options in most places. Squid seemed fairly cheap, as is cevapi, whitebait, pizzas often.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Cavtat on a budget

Pastas and pizzas are generally a bit cheaper than the UK chains, and better. A simple grill meal will range between £9-12. A better quality steak will hover around £12-17 depending on the class of restaurant. Seafood... ouch, well depends what you have. Pastas with prawns were pretty good value in Hvar. Had a brilliant one with langoustines as well for £12. Bargain. A white bass fish fillet was about £14.

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Cavtat on a budget

Thanks Rosebrid, yes I'm quite happy to fill up on pasta and I'll give the seafood a miss, I'm presuming a lot of it will be imported or frozen this time of year xxx

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Cavtat on a budget

Thanks Schemieradge, thats good going for £100 a day xxx what is cevapi though ???

Reply to: Cavtat on a budget
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cavtat
Recent Conversations