We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salvador hotel - gay friendly

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Salvador hotel - gay friendly

We are 3 gay guys planning to stay in Salvador in January. Any recommendations for 4 star accomodation, central to the nightlife and close to or beside a nice beach?

WE have never been to Salvador so have no idea what the city is like in terms of ease of movement, accessibility to beaches, size, transport etc so any other advice would be very appreciated.

Many thanks

Bq

Salvador
Level Contributor
456 posts
1. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

The Sol Barra is fairly central. It's also relatively cheap, staff are friendly and located about 50 metres from the beach. I've never been sure what 'gay friendly' actually means. How does it differ from 'Anglican friendly', 'brunette friendly ' or 'chartered accountant friendly' if it comes to that? If you are looking for rooms decorated with prints of Judy Garland and recepetion staff who burst into Gloria Gaynor numbers each time you come through the door then you might struggle. ;-)

At any rate I'm sure you'll find most hotels are relatively sophisticated and accepting.

In general baianos are fairly easy going and relaxed and there is quite a large LGBT population in Salvador. There are a collection of clubs in Barra and more around Teatro Castro Alves in Campo Grande. There's a nominally 'gay beach' in Pituaçu, although you'll find a lot of gay folk at Barra. Two of Salvadors biggest pop stars, Ivete Sangalo and Daniela Mercury are gay icons throughout Brazil, the local answer to Madonna or Kylie but with talent.

Most tourists favour either Barra or the Centro Historico, you won't have too many difficlties navigating between these points, there are buses that run direct between them. Cabs ae cheap and plentiful.

Plenty fo advice on all manner of things if you search the threads.

Enjoy.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

Thank you Jorge...I take your point about the definition of 'gay friendly' hotels, I guess I mean non-judgemental hotels, but that sounds a little corny.

What are baianos? Your advice is very welcome, thank you.

How big is Salvador? Is it easy to travel from one area to the next and is there an oldtown/new town divide?

Again, thanks :)

Salvador
Level Contributor
456 posts
3. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

"What are baianos? Your advice is very welcome, thank you."

Some from Bahia. Folk native to Salvador are soteropolitanos.

"How big is Salvador? Is it easy to travel from one area to the next and is there an oldtown/new town divide?"

In terms of population, it's a bit shy of 3 million. It's quite a large city in terms of physical size but most of the tourist attractions and much of the nightlife is to be found between Barra and the Centro Histórico, which is the old town. Most people think of the area as the Pelourinho and it's how the guides refer to it but strictly speaking it's a bigger area than the Pelourinho district proper. There's about 15 minutes between Barra and the Pelourinho on a bus (on a good day).

The other main distinction is that the central part of town is divided into the upper and lower cities (Cidade Alta/ Cidade Baixa). With the exception of the Mercado Modelo and Feira de São Joaquim most of the tourist attractions and infrastructure are in the upper part of the city, which is connected to the Cidade Baixa by an elevator (Elevador Lacerda) and a series of cog railways (planos inclinados). If you

From Barra you have endless beach suburbs running through to the north. To give you an idea a bus ride from Barra to the beach I mentioned at Pituaçu will take you upwards of half an hour.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Enjoy your stay, I'm sure you will.

Salvador
Level Contributor
456 posts
4. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

some from Bahia? Huh? Let's try that again. People from Bahia.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

Hi,

I checked out the Sol Barra but I am concerned at some of the very negative reviews. The location seems good, though - are there any other hotels nearby?

Also, can you tell me is the biarro of Barra the same as the biarro of Barris and, if not, how far apart are they?

Thanks again for your kind advice to date.

Martin

Salvador
Level Contributor
456 posts
6. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

I've stayed there myself. It's nothing flash but it's clean, relatively cheap, the staff are friendly and the location is hard to beat. That said there are plenty of other hotels in Barra.

Barris and Barra are quite separate bairros , some distance apart. Barris is Portuguese for barrels, Barra means bar as in sandbar. A small tip, if you are looking for a hotel in Barris, it's almost certainly of the 'pay by the hour' variety.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

HI,

Many thanks again.

Reading between your lines, Barris is best avoided as a place to stay! A couple of gay clubs are located there, and I just wondered. I think I understand now :)

I will have a look at other Barra hotels and I will revert to you - if you don't mind - when I have a few other options.

Cheers.

Salvador
Level Contributor
456 posts
8. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

No, you read too much into my post. There's nothing wrong with Barris, perfectly fine neighbourhood. The municipal library is there and they show arthouse films in the little cinema downstairs. I quite like Barris as it happens.

What I meant was that Barris, isn't really a point of particular interest for te average tourist and as such there's not much in the way of tourist infrastructure like hotels.

In Brazil, there is a type of hotel, often described as a 'motel' that rents rooms by the hour as well as by night. They serve as convenient spots for lovers' trysts and/ or more commercial arrangments These places vary in quality. Some are quite salubrious, others less so. There is a fair sprinkling of these throughout Centro and adjoining areas. Chances are if you see a 'hotel' in Barris it's a lodging of this type.

Rocinha, RJ, Brasil
Level Contributor
216 posts
9. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

we call those types of places "Love Motels"..

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
10. Re: Salvador hotel - gay friendly

And to explain a bit further, to the uninitiated as it were, one reason motels are "necessary" because many younger people live with family in close quarters until marriage, with no privacy whatsoever.

and about accomodation in Barra......

try Pousada Estrela do Mar, that some friends of mine enjoyed very much. I think I remember their saying the owner was Irish. :-)