We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber or a rental car?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Uber or a rental car?

Hello,

How well does uber work in SSA? Does it make sense to only rely on uber, or would a combination of a rental car and using uber be ideal?

Thanks,

Gerard.

6 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uber or a rental car?

I would recommend only Uber if you’re planning just to travel around the city of Salvador.

How to get picked up at the Salvador Airport (SSA) by Uber:

https://ubr.to/2Frm2Ew

Driving in Brazil:

http://abt.cm/1bgvTtq

http://bit.ly/2axEVdg

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uber or a rental car?

Thank you.

I've lived and driven in Sao Paulo and Brasilia for a couple of years, but that is almost 10 years ago.

That does not mean that I think I am invincible, which is why I was looking for some experiences with uber.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

Also want to go to the Litoral beaches, which is why a car could be handy.

Last time I was in SSA was in 2013 (pre-uber), and the taxi fares were killing me.

Edited: 30 April 2018, 02:23
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uber or a rental car?

I just saw the uber fares, and they look pretty attractive.

Thank you again

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uber or a rental car?

for airport to city, or just around Salvador (SSA) itself, Uber would do. and, yes, much better fares than taxi.

but to visit beach places outside Salvador (e.g Praia do Forte, Guarajuba, Sauípe etc), you will run into the following problem.... getting a Uber to go from SSA to these places should be ok...... but getting a Uber to go back to SSA is an issue - there are not many Uber cars hanging around there...

so, if you plan to go away from SSA itself, a rental car for those specific days makes sense, especially as you say you have experience in driving in the country already...

Mindelo, Cape Verde
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uber or a rental car?

UBER works perfectly in Salvador

the only thing is the drivers seldom speak English (Gerard, ik vermoed dat jij Portugees spreekt dus geen probleem voor jou), which is very much the problem with ordinary taxi drivers

so, have your celular data logged in and have google translator active (for those who don't speak a word of Portuguese ;-)

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uber or a rental car?

Thanks!

Yes, I do speak Portuguese. That should be fine,

I'll probably be using both uber and the rental car to get out of town for example.

Reply to: Uber or a rental car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted