We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little trip report

London, UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
A little trip report

Hope your SXSW is going well. My partner and I were in Austin recently - we had a great time. We had a car because we had to fly to and from Houston, but we found downtown Austin pretty easy to walk around. There was always a bar nearby if needed!

Found this forum really useful - so thanks.

Some thoughts, and things we got up to...

1. We rented a condo on 6th Street, just west of Lamar. Good location, convenient for Book People, Waterloo Records and Whole Foods - places we spent a lot of time. Some good local eateries too: Z Tejas, Corazon, 24 Hour Diner and Counter Cafe (our first ever 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives' venue).

2. Esther's Follies was very entertaining - highly recommended. I'm not usually a variety show kind of person, but they do a great job. It did help to know about Rick Perry and his foibles beforehand! We combined the outing with a wee pub crawl around Rainey Street, and ate at Bangers.

3. Everyone was really friendly. Our English and Scottish accents helped, but everyone just wanted to talk to you. I was asked if I loved the Queen - not a question I've had to deal with before!

4. We had our first ever Texas BBQ at the Salt Lick in Round Rock. We enjoyed it, although our take-out BBQ from Whole Foods was probably even better.

5. The craft beer industry seems to be thriving. Lots of bars take pride in offering a big choice - quite overwhelming at times. And often you don't know how strong they are. Some of these beers are *really* strong (6%+). Watch out!

6. We spent two afternoons at the LBJ Presidential Library and the Bob Bullock museum. Filled in all those gaps in our knowledge of the history of Texas.

7. Had biscuits and gravy for the first time. Definitely not 'Rich Tea and Bisto', but equally interesting. Not in too much of a rush to replicate the experience at home!

8. Star spotting - we bumped into Louis from the David Pakman Show in a bar on E 6th Street. Thanks for sharing the Firehouse's bookcase secret with us.

9. We did an overnight trip to Fredericksburg. We didn't know before reading this forum that Texas had a wine industry. The 290 Wine Shuttle service worked really well - perhaps too well! Excellent meal and hospitality at Otto's that evening - nice chatting to the co-owner, who had lived in Glasgow for a bit. Be aware the town does close down quite early, even on a Saturday night.

10. We satisfied our outlet shopping needs near San Marcos. There was even a Gold Toe shop (we can't get Gold Toes in the UK, and here was a whole store).

11. Got to watch the Atheist Experience on the real Channel Austin.

Anyway, just some of the highlights. Thanks for having us, ATX.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Esther's Follies
Esther's Follies
946 Reviews
Austin, TX
Rainey Street
Rainey Street
172 Reviews
Austin, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
LBJ Presidential Library
LBJ Presidential Library
2,771 Reviews
Austin, TX
Otto's
Otto's
632 Reviews
Fredericksburg, TX
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A little trip report

Thanks for nice report. I am so thrilled with your comment about the BBQ at Whole Foods. I sat at their BBQ bar about 5 years ago and that was some of the best BBQ and fix ins I had had as a Texan. I know folks cringe when I say that. Glad you commented on it.

I was intrigued when I read your original post stating you found a rental in that W.Foods area. If you have time would you send me a private message and tell me which company offered it and where condo was? If it was in one of those new condo complexes that is a great location for our Austin visitors. Thanks in advance for info and trip report.

Also, as a visitor for the first time, please describe your experience on Rainey Street for us.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Rainey Street
Rainey Street
172 Reviews
Austin, TX
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,755 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A little trip report

Very nice TR glad you had a great time in Austin got to try the BBQ at Whole Foods myself.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A little trip report

Thanks for sharing! Some of us live vicariously through the TR's :-)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A little trip report

Great trip report! My husband swears the BBQ at the counter at Whole Foods is the best in town. He gets a brisket sandwich from there at least once week.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
136 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A little trip report

Hi, lpgm,

Could I also get details of the condo. We're headed there from the UK in June.

Thanks

London, UK
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A little trip report

Well, MrTed, it was actually reading about your husband's views on the Whole Foods BBQ that encouraged us to give it a go in the first place!

new york
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A little trip report

Great report! Thanks for sharing! We leave in about three weeks, can't wait!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A little trip report

lpgm, I'll let him know that he's helping visitors without even logging on to TripAdvisor!

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A little trip report

So glad you found Otto's, it's a nice little gem in Fredericksburg. Sounds like you had a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Otto's
Otto's
632 Reviews
Fredericksburg, TX
10. Re: A little trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2016, 15:17
;