We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe locations for night photography?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Safe locations for night photography?

Coming in likely mid week first week of April for one night for the purpose of shooting night photography. specificially the city skyline, preferably with a canal, river or some sort of water in the foreground.

Looking at the map, I'm seeing some strong possibilities near the Lady Bird Bridge trail? How safe between 9pm and midnight or 1am?

I'll be getting off the greyhound (916 E Koenig Ln,) about 9:30pm, will want to check into likely motel 6 nearby (5330 N Interstate 35) then get a cab or other transportation down to the riverfront area - likely by 11pm or so.

will this give me a safe hour or two to shoot my photography, then get transportation back to the hotel area? Possibility I could get in as early as 7:30pm.

Thanks!

Edited: 27 March 2012, 15:38
djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
795 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe locations for night photography?

The view from the Long Center (Riverside and S. 1st) - what they refer to as the "City Terrace" is amazing. You just go up the stairs and the city is beautiful there. Although you don't get the reflection from Lady Bird Lake, there's a water feature on the grounds that works well for what you want to do -- and it's totally safe.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe locations for night photography?

I am more concerned about your hotel choice than safety while you are shooting photographs. That isn't the best area of town, so definitely take a cab from the bus station, especially if you arrive later.

As for locations, the Long Center view is wonderful. If you want to shoot from the bridge, the main bridge is the Ann Richards Congress Ave. Bridge and it crosses Lady Bird Lake (known to the locals at Town Lake). You'll want to get the nomenclature correct so you can tell a cab driver where you want to go. This is a pretty heavily trafficked area, and it is generally safe. Just take the same precautions you would take in any city.

If you arrive at 7:30, note that the sun isn't setting here until almost 8pm. You would still have to wait for darker skies.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe locations for night photography?

Thanks to both for the helpful info! If I can just get a handful of decent representative shots of the cityscape I'll be satisfied. And Mr Ted I also like the dusk photos, but even if I arrive at 7:30p I'll have to get my suitcase to the hotel, then back out to the appropriate shooting area, so it would likely be after dark anyway. And I believe that is the bus I want to come in on, so hopefully I can get everything I need well before 11pm or so and get back via cab to the hotel.

Thanks again!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
170 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe locations for night photography?

It shows on the Capital Metro site that from the bus station to the Long Center is about 35 minutes. I'm not opposed to riding the bus. I see it runs back north as late as midnight. So the obvious question, other than the fact anything can happen, are there problems with the buses regarding people being hassled, robbed, etc?

5. Re: Safe locations for night photography?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2013, 20:19