We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January thunderstorms?

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
21 reviews
January thunderstorms?

We are considering a month-long stay in Atlantic Beach this January. However, we need to consider our dog: she is severely thunder-phobic, requiring both sedation and a degree confinement during episodes of thunder & lightning. She is large, so this is not trivial. Here in north Texas, storms usually move through in a matter of hours and we have things arranged so that no harm comes to her. So other than our losing sleep some nights, we are able to keep everyone comfortable.

But how is AB storm-wise in January? I realize that we can only get a general impression, but even that would be helpful. Are storms likely every day (like Colorado in the summer), or maybe only once a week? Lasting for a few hours or tending to go on for days? Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: January thunderstorms?

We don't get a lot of thunder in January. It can happen, but it's more common to have drizzly dreary day-long type of rain in the winter. The summer is the season for thunder here. I wouldn't expect thunder at Atlantic Beach in January, but can't guarantee it won't happen. Here's the weather for last January, unfortunately it doesn't list thunder/lightning, just rain:

https:/…MonthlyCalendar.html

It can be pretty cold in January and snow is a possibility although unlikely. Also possible are nice days in the 60s and 70s, but it can also be really windy and uncomfortable on the beach, so really you never know what you will get, but I wouldn't expect thunder.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: January thunderstorms?

Here's a website with a graph of cloud to ground lightning strikes by month in North Carolina partway down the page: https:/…

"June, July, and August account for 78% of the annual statewide lightning while November, December, January, and February combine for only 1% of the annual total. "

Do you get many thunderstorms in January in Texas?

Edited: 05 November 2017, 09:00
Dallas
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: January thunderstorms?

Thank you so much, Panchopup, that's the sort of data that I've been looking for. It seems to tell me that the coastal area ("Sandhills") is the busiest overall for lightning strikes, but that January would not be a terribly bothersome time of year. Also that peak activity is late afternoon, which is definitely preferable to 3 AM!

North Texas sits at the bottom of the Midwestern plains, so we are at the mercy of the vast northern regions and southbound wind patterns in the winter. "Blue Northers" come down all the way from Canada and literally hit us as a wall of cold area...Really, you can stand outside and see them and feel them hit. If we have been on the warm side, we will then get outbreaks of thunder. January generally isn't bad in that regard, but it does happen. Thanks again.

Edited: 05 November 2017, 11:28
A M
North Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: January thunderstorms?

Extremely rare to have thunder storms in January. Storms rarely last very long, however.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,683 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: January thunderstorms?

A M, I believe the OP has already taken their trip. Note date. panchopup seemed to have given adequate advice.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: January thunderstorms?

And the OP had a very successful trip: no thunderstorms and the dog loved the beach. But thanks again all.

Reply to: January thunderstorms?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atlantic Beach
More Atlantic Beach Topics