We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ramadan in malaysia 2013

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Topic
ramadan in malaysia 2013

As we will be travelling to malayasia (KL, Subang and Langkawi), during July 2013 which is in ramadan, we had the following questions:

1. Are bars open during daytime in all 3 mentioned locations and what is the policy of smoking in public - we are non-muslims

2. dress code in all three locations

3. hotels 5* serving alocohol during fasting hours

on another note, we were reading that online that there is a problem of jellyfish in the langkawi beaches of pantai cenang, tengah, etc. And snakes. Please advise.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
853 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

A part from KL and Subang which usually don't have any issue of your question above. (Bar tend to open at night, except for those situated around shopping complex and tourist spot).

Langkawi - you will have problem for finding food during fasting month. Hotel will provide food but it will depends on which hotel you are staying (4-5 star hotel shouldn't be a problem). Budget or cheap hotel, they might not serve breakfast (even though they said breakfast buffet provided) and most probably provide bread/noodle + coffee/tea. But at least, there's a McDonald in Langkawi.

Dress code : normal

There will always have jellyfish in tropical sea. If you stay in hotel with enclosed beach, they do have barrier that protect from the jelly fish. Otherwise, you still can enjoy the waterfall for swimming.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

1. Are bars open? Yes they will operate their usual hours.

2. Dress codes in KL, Subang and Langkawi? Whats the dress code in New Dehli, Mumbai and Bangalore? The answer is it really depends on the specific place you are visiting, regardless of where you are. Fine dining? Smart Casual. Beach - swimwear will do. No nudity. Shopping? - Casual.

3. Hotels serving Alcohol during fasting hours? Yes of course.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 15:24
New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

Thank you

In langkawi we are looking to stay at the Meritus Pelangi. So hopefully no issues for food, beer and smoking within the hotel resort?

What about smoking during ramadan hours and eating in public i.e. is it ok for tourists or does everyone expect to refrain from these in public places till sundown?

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

You should post your query on the Langkawi forum.

Leicester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

Hi,

As Malaysia consists of many races and not everyone is Muslim, you will find that it is similar to other months except that lunch hours would be less packed. However, Ramadhan usually sees restaurants and eateries to be packed during sunset (6.30-9pm) as Muslims are breaking fast, and non-Muslims are having dinner. So you might want to consider early or late dinner or make some bookings (most eateries allow you to reserve, it's common).

Also, Ramadhan month sees a lot of food market (known as Pasar Malam/Pasar Juadah/Bazaar Ramadhan). It's row of street vendors selling authentic Malaysian cuisine, starts around 5pm till 8pm I'd say. So you want to enjoy that, just don't munch your food publicly unless you are at proper eatery or restaurants :) (you won't get scolded, but you won't want to softly offend people who are fasting).

Dress code is just like regular days.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

Hi

Given that I'll be in Penang for 2 days from July 24th, do you reckon its going to a bit of problem finding the good eateries/bars open during day time.

Thanks

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

Given that 55% of the population of Penang state is non-muslim, I don't really think you have to worry too much about it. The local non-muslims got to eat too, no?

Leicester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

Should be no problem. Muslim-run eateries would most probably close, but those owned by non-Muslims and bigger restaurants (like chained restaurants, franchise) would definitely open.

Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

Yeah didn't think it would be an issue during Ramadan until I was looking at Dubai's webpage where I might go later. But guess not gonna face those sort of issues in Penang/KL.

Also, Is there one experience in Penang I shouldn't miss?

Thanks

Leicester, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ramadan in malaysia 2013

The food!! There are many things you can do/visit, the foods have drawn lots of people (tourists and Malaysians) into Penang. You should try most of them, from snacks, pickles, starters to even dessert. Street food is tastier, and you'll get more authentic taste to it. Worry not, they are clean too. Penang is like Chinese, Malay, Indian and little hint of Arabian cultures blended together. Just be prepared for some hot and spicy meals.

Apart from that, there are Bukit Bendera (view is amazing, depends on weather and probably had been improvised since last I visited), the UNESCO-sector of Georgetown, Ferringhi for beach, visit the temples/mosques etc.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 17:20