We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia visit in May

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia visit in May

I am planning to Visit Malaysia in May. I would like to visit Langkawi, Penang and KL. I intend to stay for 9 day(8 ninghts) and have planned for 2 nights in Langkawi, 2 nights in Penang and 4 nights in KL. Can you advise if I should stay in Genting for 2 nights or travel in the day and come back. Also please advise some good hotels in KL/Penang/Langkawi.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia visit in May

Hi

This is a very broad question you have asked, it would boil down to what you like to do and see.

Penang IMPO is far better than langkawi for food and heritage, and a feel of the real Malaysia. Genting is okay for 1 night, the cable car ride up/ down is fantastic, though the theme parks there are ageing now, but then for MYR 35 its good enough entertainment for kids for the day.

Hotels? Whats the budget??

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,670 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia visit in May

Hi

with only 8 nights, your plan is very rushed.

I would only do 2 places. Kuala Lumpur and Penang. Minimise your travelling, maximise your holiday.

Only you can deceide if you should do Genting as a day trip or stay over. I would do neither, so it is a very personal choice.

As for hotels, well good hotels will have a price, so it really depends on your budget and what you class as good.If you look in the left hand panel of this page and check out ‘……………..hotels’ where you see the full range of hotels / apartment rental / B&Bs etc for that area, and you can also sort by budget [and your style] as well as read recent reviews.

<--------------------

Have fun!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia visit in May

I am travelling with my wife and 2 kids. So from the pictures Langkawi looks good for the beaches. I am looking at 4 star hoelts in the range of $100-150. Genting for 1 night is fine but will i cover KL in 3 days.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,670 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia visit in May

I would still only do KL and Langakwi then.

As for hotels, well 4* hotels will vary (is that US$, AU$, CAN$, HKG$ etc) so it really depends on you and your preferences, if you look in the left hand panel of this page and check out ‘……………..hotels’ where you see the full range of hotels / apartment rental / B&Bs etc for that area, and you can also sort by budget [and your style] as well as read recent reviews.

<--------------------

Have fun!

Edited: 18 March 2012, 02:45
Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia visit in May

Murali

I am from Mumbai and did this trip last month - 6 days in Langkawi and 2 in KL - and we were still a bit tired by the time we reached KL. The heat and humidity in Langkawi is almost same as Mumbai. And me and my wife are quite fit - in our 40s/50s.

So your plan - doing so much is not a good idea - especially with 2 kids - who will have their own body clocks !

I agree with the above opinions - stick to KL and one other place - Langkawi is a good option - since we enjoyed it thoroughly. No idea about Penang.

As for Genting - maybe you can do this as a day trip from KL? But note that in KL itself there are amusement park type rides - and that too within a mall (Berjaya or Pavilion, not sure). So rides in a/c comfort etc.

The humidity factor can sap your strength really badly - so keep your plan simple.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia visit in May

Your kids will like Genting, great cable car ride and cool weather once you're up there. Don't expect a Disneyland and you will be fine. For it's really cheap price of MYR 35 entrance to theme park, it's a day well spent

The options offered above by Travellin Mitch and Kato are absolutely fine, so it's you who has to decide what kind of holiday you want

Penang scores over langkawi. For KL hotels, parkroyal in bukit bintang is a good choice for families

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
416 posts
693 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia visit in May

KL - Park Royal.... great location, really nice hotel for around US$80 - 100 per night.

Penang - My fav in Georgetown is Evergreen Laural 5 star on Gurney, about US$80

Batu Ferringhi - Bayview Beach Resort if you prefer beach to city.

Personally I would spend only two days in KL and four in Penang

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia visit in May

Thanks, this helps. I will keep in mind the humidity while travelling. With the views expressed above may be i will cut KL to some extent.

9. Re: Malaysia visit in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 16:16