We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

Is there much of a difference between changing money in Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang?

We'll be going to both areas while we're in KL, but wanted to know if we would get a significantly better rate in one area or the other.

If the current exchange rate of AUD to MYR is 3.26, what rate should I expect to get at a money changer?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

Hi Zinkle

By Australian standards there is not much difference unless you are talking about a huge amount of currency.The main thing to remember is not to use the Hotels as your currency exchange as they notoriously have low rates.We use a prepaid card that you can use at any ATM and it is charged at Commercial rates.Bukit Bintang does have a lot of money changers but probably stick with the corporate set ups in the Shopping centres rather than backyard set ups that are plentiful around Chinatown and other areas.Mid Valley will be similiar rate.Have a great trip.

Sean

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

We got the cheapest rates in the Sunway Pyramid Mall! But you cant specially go there to change money unless you are visiting Sunway lagoon. Its a 20-min cab ride from KL Sentral costing MYR 22.

Otherwise - go into BB Plaza/ Sungei wang and compare prices with 2-3 money changers there - they generally have the cheapest rates.

But like Seanjotadhg said above - its isn't so much of a difference really! Only problem changing money at Midvalley is the huge lines! Rates are similar to bukit bintang

australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

Thanks Sean and RainmanMumbai for your answers,

Sounds like we may need to get to the money changers early at midvalley!

PS purely out of interest, how much is a "huge amount" of money to change to get a better rate?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

Not quite sure why RainmanMumbai said "huge lines" at the money changers! There are quite a few of them around and I've NEVER seen "huge lines". So no worries, zinkle, just get to Midvalley at whatever time you'd originally planned. And a "huge amount" would be upwards of RM10,000 ... and even then, you may not get a negotiable rate. All depends on supply and demand, as it is with everything else.

Navi Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Genting Highlands
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

JulesB66 -

Hi! At the midvalley on the lower ground, there are only 2 money changers next to each other (is that correct? I could only spot these 2 on the entire lower ground). So it seems that both these money changers are owned by the same people, and one of them is always shut resulting in huge lines at the other one.

Ive noticed it so often that on my last trip I enquired as to why this was. So anyway, if you're familiar with the layout of this floor, the lines were almost into the beauty stalls opp these money changers!

These are the 2 money changers just beneath the escalators and they offered similar rates as rest of KL.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 01:22
Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

With around Rm10K or more you would definitely get a much better negotiate rate over the official published rate.

Cheers

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

There are actually 3 money changers at Mid Valley.

The one without queues is located inside a newstand opposite the McD (if I remember correctly, ask the information desk). Not many people are aware of this guy.

The two at the central courtyard next to each other always has a long line.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

you normally get a bad rate at shopping centres or more touristy areas.

probably better rate at masjid india where you can compare rate at a few shops.

never at sunway pyramid- the rate is extremely bad

perhaps sungai wang plaza or bukit bintang area will be better, more choices and you can shop around.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

Yep, as advised by @maic, in Mid Valley, opposite Mcdonalds,the kiosk inside a newsagent.

the other two, now only left one-the other...lights are on,but everything has been taken down.

Personally, I have checked with money changers rates in every malls in KL--the one in MidValley gives a more favourable rates..but it is only a variance of RM0.15-RM0.25..

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing money - Midvalley vs Bukit Bintang

Besides those 3 on the lower ground floor of Midvalley, there's also one at the Boulevard office block; a few doors down from RHB Bank ... it has a small space at the entrance of a "mamak" shop.

And RainmanMumbai, those "beauty stalls" on the lower ground floor are only temporary as they're promotional stalls .... and today like all other times, I've not seen "huge lines" at the money changers.