We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

entering Malaysia with a one way ticket

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
entering Malaysia with a one way ticket

Hello lovely people

I am travelling to Kuala Lumpur in under 2 weeks and have not thought twice about whether I will get in as no visa is required. But some friends have worried me and Id like to see if anyone has an idea about.. travelling with only a one way ticket? Will they ask for proof of onward journey? I am a 24 yr old female travelling alone but meeting a friend at KLIA. Any info would put a worried mind at rest!

Thank you x

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: entering Malaysia with a one way ticket

Hi siwafar

The issue of a one way ticket is a complex one,one I think can only be solved by being honest with the authorities in Malaysia,prior to travelling.The one way ticket factor in itself is not illegal,but the immigration dept may act on suspicions for any reason.There can be no guarentees on being permitted into Malaysia at any time.If allowed entry you will be subject to being allowed to stay in Malaysia for a time that has been agreed upon by Malaysia and UK,maybe 60 days.It could be seen as quite normal to buy a one way ticket,if you intend to continue your journey through asia,but have yet to decide where or when.I do not feel comfortable in answering this question with a simple yes or no,as the authorities in Malaysia will decide.I suggest contacting the nearest consulate to you for further information.Travel safe and enjoy your trip

Sean

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: entering Malaysia with a one way ticket

Some strict immigration officers might not allowed entry without a onward ticket to the next destination.

Suggest that you buy another online cheap ticket to another country for proof of departure just to comply with the immigration ruling or risk" deportation."

goto

www.airasia.com to search for a cheap ticket to another country eg Thailand or Indonesia .will not cost an arm or leg

Cheers

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,473 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: entering Malaysia with a one way ticket

Normally at check in the airline might already refuse to check you in...

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: entering Malaysia with a one way ticket

www.imi.gov.my/index.php…

Malaysian Immigration Department website under "Entry Requirements" states:

"To enter Malaysia, a visitor should fulfill the following conditions:...

... iii. Valid return travel ticket and sufficient funds

A visitor is also required to proof (sic) his financial ability to stay in Malaysia and a confirm ticket to a third country."

Is it really worth the risk of being denied entry?

Leopang's suggestion is a good one, find a cheap flight onwards to any other country, or if you know where you might go next, buy your ticket for that destination...

Lise & Sabrina

Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: entering Malaysia with a one way ticket

ah thank you so much! all of you! This is enough for me to book a ticket now and know that all will be ok! Thank you again! Hope your all enjoying yourself wherever you are! Peace x

6. Re: entering Malaysia with a one way ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 00:17