We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

Christchurch
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

We are going to KL in October and I am thinking it would be a good time to buy a new smart phone and other electronics when I’m there.

As I understand, electronics are much cheaper in KL opposed to home (New Zealand).

I was wondering if anyone has any inside info or advice regarding buying a phone in a different country and then using it back home?

Any pitfalls I should consider?

Also can anyone offer names or links to large electronic / cell phone retail / chain shops in KL?

It would be helpful to research prices and compare to home before we leave so I can make a informed decision.

Thanks in advance!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,303 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

Low Yat plaza close to Bikit Bintang >>the electronic/hand phone shopping center.

Only pitfall is the after sale,you will encounter problems if you need backup/warranty back home

Christchurch
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

Thats a great start, thanks you.

Within that mall is there a shop(s) that stand out above the rest as being 'the' main supplier of cell phones?

I did consider the warranty issue, hence the research before leaving so I can decide if it is going to be worth it or not.

Thanks.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

Also is there places to buy cell phones in Penang as another option?

KL
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

TradeMeFan,

The stalls and shops selling handphones are basically the same at Low Yat and unless you know them personally, I don't think there will be much different in price if it's just a one time trade. Which smart phone are you looking at in particular?

Not too sure about Penang as all the major shopping complex will certainly have handphone stalls and booths. Another option in KL would be in Sg Wang Plaza which is just right behind Low Yat. If you do come across Petaling Jaya, you can make your way to Digital Mall in Section 14 or USJ Subang.

One reminder, they have 2 different prices for the same phone in the same stall here in Malaysia so please choose wisely.

The prices will drop when October comes and new models are out. By the way, how much can you get a 32Gb microSD memory card in NZ?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

Thanks edd3022 for the heads up about the other mall.

Can you explain further what you meant by (& why) there are two different prices for the same item, at the same stall... One price for local and one for tourists may be?

Re 32gb microSD - I went to dse.co.nz which is a major electronics retailer here and in OZ.

The website did not list a 32gb microSD but the price for a 16gb one was NZ$114.00. Hope that gives you some idea.

Do you have a link or name of a major shop I can go directly to look at prices there?

Ive not decided on a particular phone yet.

Thank again.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

Hi

I think what the previous poster means is that there are 2 prices - one if you subscribe to a local network - cheaper and one for an unlocked phone - more expensive. If I were u I would do research on the fone model b4 leaving then hone it in. They dont provide much info bout the fones at the stalls.

Also note that the price stickers dont mean nothing at these stalls. U hv to ask for a good price n then haggle. Try this at a few stalls before making purchase.

Personally think the savings is based purely on xchange rates - so if the NZD is favourable to MYR then its a good deal.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,667 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

If you are buying an expensive bit of kit, please do not forget that you have no consumer rights or guarantees when you leave the country. The international guarantee offered by the manufacturer is virtually worthless should you need the item repaired when you get back home.

Just consider this, especially if you are only talking about a few dollars difference.

Everyone gets swept along with saveing a few bucks and then catches a cold when they get home (like we did a few years ago).

Happy shopping.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

There is a rumour going around that while there are many stalls in Low Yat or Sungei Wang, they are in fact owned by only a few companies. I cannot personally verify this but my personal feel is there is some truth to this rumour.

You need to know exactly what you want to buy, want comes together in the box, what the ORIGINAL accessories look like..etc before commiting.

Many a times, you purchase an original handphone, but might be given fake accessories like headphones, batt..etc

Shop around, ask around to make sure you get the best deal.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

Low Yat Plaza and nearby Sungai Wang Plaza are both definitely the places to check into for electronics and smart phones in KL.

To answer OP's query positively, I would re-state a few common ground rules when one buys electronics / phones abroad. First, ask to see (and read) the international warranty which practically all manufacturers provide these days, to ascertain the protection you may be afforded. Second, buy from either the manufacturer's authorised dealer / retailer (this is indicated by a prominent sign or statement somewhere in the store) or from large local establishment. Well known phone makes like Nokia, Sony Ericsson, HTC, Samsung, LG all have either their own stores or authorised dealers at Low Yat Plaza - so too firms like Sony, Canon, Casio, Toshiba, Sharp, Microsoft, Intel, HP, Asus, etc. Large local establishment include stores like All IT Hypermarket, Thunder Match, CSL, etc. Third, get an idea of the price expected - browse online from sites such as Best Price Malaysia http://mobile.bestpricemalaysia.com/ or CSL http://www.csl.my/ - many others, just google.

Hope this helps. Regards

Muhib

Christchurch
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a Cell Phone / Electronics in KL - Advice Please

Thanks everyone - Very good information!

Double thanks to Muhib - Those links are just what I needed.

As an example, a quick search might suggest I could get a Nokia C7-00 for about half price in KL ($430ish NZD).

Thanks all!