We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

Hi everyone,

I know this has been queried and answered before on these forums but I was hoping for some more recent info on this topic...

I have an ANZ access account card with a four digit pin and am wondering if it will work at the atms in KL and Penang?

Normally when I travel I use my Visa Debit card with the Plus symbol, but in typical ANZ form, it expired on the 1st of March and they haven't dispatched a new one yet!!! (Don't ask).

Has anyone successfully used an ANZ access card?

Thanks so much for your help.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

No. Your normal ANZ card will not work.

It must be a debit or credit card with an international symbol (like visa or mastercard) on the card.

The normal cards only work in Aus.

It is very easy to take cash and change it at the money changers. You will get a good rate this way too.

Caroline.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
820 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

I would suggest a 28 Degrees Mastercard (formerly known as Wizard Clear Advantage). You can use it at ATM's to withdraw money, pay for hotel bills etc and not receive any international transaction conversion fees.

It is worth checking out.

brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

My access card has the maestro and cirrus logo on it... are you sure it won't work?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

Call your bank and ask.

You'll need to call your bank anyway if you intend to use your card. Sometimes cards with a string of international transactions will be stopped by your bank unless you have advised you will be traveling.

Your other option at short notice is getting a travel cash card from the bank - I think you can get one at very short notice.

Caroline.

Edited: 03 March 2011, 17:26
brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

Thanks Caroline, I am leaving this Sunday at 5am and am working the next 2 days so won't be able to get to the bank unfortunately.

I have asked the bank and had various responses, depending on who I am speaking too, so am still very uncertain as to whether the access card will work. It does have the maestro/cirrus logo, so in theory it should work fine.

I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it will, especially considering you're only allowed to bring in 1000MYR and I won't have a lot of cash.

If only the ANZ sent the replacement card out BEFORE the other one expired, I wouldn't be in this mess!!!!

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

If I were you I would be bringing in a stash of crisp $50A notes to change.

C.

Sydney
Level Contributor
873 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

Here's a link to a website that allows you to search for Cirrus/Maestro ATMs; there seem to be several in the Bukit Bintang area, including at branches of Maybank.

mastercard.us/cardholder-services/…

As a back-up, take some Aussie dollars (if necessary withdraw some at the airport before you fly out), because you will find it very straightforward to use money changers. No need to purchase ringgits before you leave Australia - there are Maybank ATMs and money changers at the airport.

On our recent trip we used ATMs (Plus network) and money changers - the rates were almost the same, and the money changers were very professional and not in any way dodgy.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

Just my 5c worth, I use my ANZ ATM card in NZ, Canada and US but only at ATMs with Cirrus or Maestro logos, don't know about Malaysia I'm going to Thailand in August, first visit, I will be taking Aussie $$$$ and changing it in Chaing Mai.

Edited: 04 March 2011, 11:50
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

And my 2 cents worth.... i don't recommend carrying lots of cash. if you cant get an ANZ Travel Visa Card I would try and get a similar travel visa from; the Post Office, Flight Centre or you can get a Travelex one and pick it up at the airport. Happy hols!

10. Re: Atm's in KL and Penang -ANZ access card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 23:15