We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

Perth WA
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

HI Guys

Well the dilemma is were going bush bashing to the fireflies,and i have it on good authority that the little mossies are big biters. The question is will my Aerogard from Australia be powerful enough to keep the little biters away or can anybody recommend some good local brands for me to buy. As always you input will be gratefully received.

Sharx

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,552 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

Either is ok.

Buy there and save on luggage weight. Plus some of the products available in the pharmacies in Malaysia may not be for sale in AUS. Its the DEET content that keeps the little devils at bay, but some swear by natural products or even Avon Skin So soft!

The mozzies tend to nibble for the first or second day, then leave us alone!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

You can buy a tropical strength spray on aeroguard in Coles or Woolworths. Just make sure it is labled 'tropical strength' and contains DEET.

Take it with you and then you don't have to spend time hunting it down while you're there.

Caroline.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

Unfortunetly for me the Tropical strenght Aeroguard didnt cut it at all in the tropics of Thailand..Rid was great..As previously suggested you need products that contain DEET..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

Hi Guys

Well no definitive answer yet ! I have found that the Tropical strength Aerogard is not always up to the job on hot days. At this point i think i will take it anyway but i think i would still like to try the local stuff so. so if anyone has a brand name in Malaysia that has been successful in the past could you just forward it on please. As always your in put will be of great value and well received.

Thanx

Sharx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

HI- I have bought 2 roll ons from oz to take -like Caroline said, you don't have to search for first few days and can try and see if they work. Other posters have mentioned a good brand called 'bushrangers' but haven't seen it yet. The rRID tropical strength has 191grams for 100ml roll on neutral strength says protects against mozzies carrying malaria, ross river and dengue 6 hours. Others say lavander oil and if near rivers, beach use coil at night or nets. Maybe oz brands different 'smell' so stay away_ I find here the mozzies get used to areoguard and bite me anyhow :( I am a mozzie magnet- and an allergic one at that :( I am not sure how wearing long pants/sleeves in Kl will help- so humid!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

Hi,

We took the Bushman's one. 20% DEET and has a sunscreen in it. We purchased it from Chemist Warehouse. It's in a bright green can and hard to miss. Worked well on us, including 2 kids.

Hope that helps.

Kerrie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

Just did a quick search the bushmans recipe: (there is also a bushrangers brand)

* 70% Johnson's Baby Oil

* 30% Dettol (or an equivalent disinfectant that doesn't cause skin irritation)

in pump spray bottle under 100ml can increase dettol to 50% if needed. May be worth a try...

-perth travel medicine centre says rid tropical strength has 19% deet 4-6 hrs

tropical strength rol on spray and sticks 30% and 125ml (cant take on plane) 40%. kids one 7%

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

What one insect repellent works for one person not always works for another.

I have tried them all from the 'natural' remedies (useless) to Avon SSS (waste of time and money) to 50% deet and everything in between. Also the local insect stuff 'Off' (another useless buy) and the citronella creams, as well as talking vit b tabs. Where I live we have a lot of Andes mosquitoes, which spread Dengue so we are very careful.

Conclusion, only Autan tropical strength works for me, but, like last week not all the time I had 5 bites all through jeans and I was wearing Autan (and that was sitting at home), but this week nothing at all. It stops them biting my other half who does suffer. but Autan does not work for them, it has to be Tropical strength Jungle Formula, 50% deet, so just goes to show.

But do the usual wearing of long sleeves and trousers if you can, and remember Andes mosquitoes are out during the day, not just at dusk when a lot of the others come out.

I would in a local store like Guardian, Watsons, or most chemists but a tube of Mopiko, which is our saviour for bites, its a cream in a green and white with red tube from Japan, I never go anywhere without it. Helps a lot esp if you have a nasty bite, to put the cream on a plaster over the bite and leave it on overnight, (this was a tip from my Doctor)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

Tropical Strength Aeroguard does contain DEET.

There is another popular brand in Asia called OFF. We have it here in Aus as well, but I have never seen it in the DEET version here.

Take care putting products with very high levels of DEET (eg. Bushmans) on children. If you can get away with a lower level of DEET please do. I bought Bushman's but then threw it in the bin when a medical friend saw I had it and went nuts at me.

There is no Malaria around KL - you are really trying to avoid Dengue - a lower level of DEET should suffice.

Caroline.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insect Repellent Buy Local or bring your own ?

Thanks to everyone for your help. I was going to search for a 6 sided coin and toss it up and make my decision that way, but the long haired one just told me to give all the suggestions a number and roll a dice.

Just as well 6 sided coins are as rare as rocking horse manure.

Thanx heaps guys

Sharx.