We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food tour cost

Cambridge
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Food tour cost

We are doing a night food tour whilst in KL, and have been told that rather than a set price we are to tip what we think is fair for the tour. I believe it’s an hour or so, so any advice on how much we should pay??

10 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food tour cost

Sounds odd to me. All the food tours shown on the Things To Do tab above have prices which will include a payment for the guide. If you’ve not been quoted a price, are you paying for the food as you go and not paying anything for a guide, so is this a tip for them at the end for their time? Tipping is not the custom in Malaysia otherwise.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 11:10
Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food tour cost

I agree, it does sound strange. There is a company which gets good reviews here called , with locals. Fixed prices.

Cheers

Sean

Cambridge
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food tour cost

He has come recommended from people who have used him before, and yes I believe we pay for the food along the way and then pay him whatever we will

Feel is fair at the end. Just wasn’t sure how much we should give

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food tour cost

Coming from the UK the wages here might shock you. The minimum wage is now RM1000 a month or less then £50 a week. Many of the staff you encounter in bars, restaurants and hotels will be getting RM7-10 an hour.

So the amount you tip is really up to you but if you start tipping extravagant amounts you may be making life difficult for everyone who comes after you. Perhaps talk to the rest of your tour group and agree an amount between you. The food you will be eating will probably be in the RM5-10 range per plate, some possibly lower, if that helps.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food tour cost

That’s what I thought, I imagined the pay wouldn’t be great here but also don’t want to offend by not giving enough. We were thinking 100myr or would that be too generous?

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food tour cost

The pay on a minimum wage here is RM250 per week. RM100 would be excessive to my way of thinking. This is why I said you'll find it difficult because you will be thinking in European terms and deciding that to you RM100 isn't much (a bag of fish and chips at home!) whereas to someone here earning 2.5 days pay in 1 hour is rather different.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food tour cost

For the 1 hour service, I am thinking 50 to 100.

House visits nowadays for any enquiry will require minimum 80 for a quick inspection.

If collectively the tour guide can get 200-300 for that 1 hour job from your entire group then i think he should be very happy but that's me.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Food tour cost

What did the person that recommended him pay? Would you mind sharing the information with me as I’m in KL now looking for a good food tour. Thanks

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food tour cost

Look at the Food Tours on the Things To Do tab at the top of this page -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.my/AttractionPro…

When you see one of the 2 hours food tours highly recommended at RM80 all in, you’ll see why a RM100 tip is way over the top when you’ve paid for all the food yourself.

Level Contributor
64 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food tour cost

That tour with withlocals starts at 80MYR per person, but if theres only two people it rises to 144MYR each. So nearly 300MYR including food for two people.

Makes a 100MYR tip seem very reasonable for a guides time

Reply to: Food tour cost
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted