We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

Rajahmundry, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

Me and my family are travelling from india to Phuket and we have an layover at KUL where we have to change our flights. the layover period is only 3 hrs and we are not having any checkin baggages. So is the layover period enough for internal transfer. Kindly help us so that we can make alternate reservations incase the layover is not enough for foreigners. I guess as we not having any check in baggages so we need not go though all that immigration and customs. So kindly give us the suggestions ....

11 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,580 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

Your journey on a single ticket (all on one pnr confirmation number) or did u purchase 2 separate tickets?

Rajahmundry, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

Sir I had purchased separate tickets

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,580 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

Sorry, should have also asked which airlines, same or different?

Two main questions are:

1) do you have to change terminals between klia-Main and KLIA2?

2) when u board in india, for that airline your journey terminates in malaysia. Your separate ticket does not technically represent an onward international transit. The airline in india is within its rights to deny you boarding without documentation to enter the country they are transporting you to - malaysia. They may not do that but they can rightfully decide to deny you boarding.

All that aside, 3 hrs would normally be enough for a normal airside international transit at klia-main or klia2, but could be tight with a landside connection between the two terminals which necessitates full immigration procedure.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
882 reviews
4. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

Which airlines are you flying with firstly to KL and then to Phukiet?

Edited: 13 May 2018, 10:56
Rajahmundry, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

My booking for complete to and fro journey is with air Asia. So I thought I would need not change any terminals and all.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,580 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

You won't need to change terminals. And since the two flights with separate tickets are both on airasia, the airasia staff in india could be inclined to overlook the fact that you are technically not an international transit passenger and don't have a proper visa for your flight which terminates in Malaysia. But if they are not inclined to let you board without a proper visa then they will be within their right to do that also.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 23:14
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5,682 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

You can possibly stay airside without passing through immigration when both your flights are with AirAsia (at the same terminal KLIA2), you are travelling without checked bags and you have your boarding passes printed out from web check-in.

However, as you are travelling on separate tickets, you should get a Malaysian visa or risk being denied boarding by the airline. AirAsia is a point-to-point carrier and flights on separate tickets are considered as separate journeys. According to your first ticket, your journey out of India technically ends in KL, therefore the airline would want to see a valid visa for Malaysia. The same thing applies on your return trip from Thailand.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12,750 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

Do note that your ticket with AirAsia is point to point. This means that your ticket is not a "connection" ticket and you are not a "connection" passenger.

Point of note.. Do be aware that since it appears there are two separate tickets, that if you are late for your KUL-HKT flight-- even if the reason for being late is the fault of AirAsia's incoming flight, they are under no obligation to assist you and would be correct to deny you travel until a new ticket is purchased at then-prevailing fares.

This is part and parcel of the risks of flying a point-to-point carrier and using them to do a self-made connection.. While to you it may be a connection, in the eyes of the airlines and local Customs/Immigration it is not.

As such, regardless whether you have checked in luggage, Airasia MAY ask you to clear immigration and check-in again. It is advisable you apply for Multiple Entry Visa for Malaysia.

There is similar incident some years back in Bangkok where a AirAsia passenger was denied boarding when he walked from one gate to another, simply because he was travelling with 2 separate tickets.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g29…

Rajahmundry, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

thank u all of you guys ..i am surely taking my multi entry visa for Malaysia as i will enter again wile my fro journey from Thailand. i have read that this visa is valid for 12 months and thus would make one my Malaysian visit too for Kuala lumpur and Singapore for a week.

thank you so much people for guiding me..

Rajahmundry, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?

hello all i had completed my journey and would like to say that when ever you are flying from one place to another with a layover at one place you need no visa of that place if your not leaving airport premises. you will be going through internal transfer and no visa will be asked of that country. you will need visa of only country of destination. the above is true only for hand baggage travelers.

Yes visa is required to people transiting and have check in luggage but not to people with hand luggage. airlines checking documents before boarding like airasia must be given information that visa required only for passengers with check in luggage and not with hand luggage.

03 hours is more than enough in case the flights are on schedule.

Reply to: Is 3 hrs layover enough for International transfers at KUL?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted