We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

YKL
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

we (2 adults) are planning to spend 15 days to visit all the above places, may be 2 nights in Kyoto, Before stay 6 or 7 nights in Osaka to take day trips to the other nearby places before taking the bullet train to Tokyo

Would it be better to hire a car or take the trains for the daily trips, if so, which JP pass should we buy please

9 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,363 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

All of your proposed destinations are accessible by train. Details including suggested itineraries can be found at www.japan-guide.com

www.japan-guide.com/railpass = rail pass calculator.

Yachiyo, Japan
Level Contributor
190 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

It takes about 1,500yen from osaka to himeji 2 hours one way.

for shinkansen low speed one is additional 900yen 1.5h one way .

for shinkansen high speed one is additional 1,800yen 1h one way.

So Jr pass about 30,000yen/ 7days/1adult is not proper for you.

To enjoy Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima it is important to select location of accomodation and find economica l1 to 3days ticket. Prepaid Icoca card is useful which is refundable with 22yen managing fee.220yen.

Have a nice trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

I stayed at the Granvia hotel Kyoto station and it was so easy to visit Nara, Himeji, Hiroshima, Kobe & Osaka as day trips. The trains are so comfortable & efficient it wasn’t worth the hassle of checking in & out of hotels. We visited all of the above using a 7 day JR pass (stayed 4 nights in Tokyo, activated the JR pass for a trip to Nikko before leaving for Kyoto, definitely recommend a trip to Nikko if you have time)!

Yachiyo, Japan
Level Contributor
190 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

To enjoy Japanese real life, it is not useful stay in famous noisy cities and run around , but stay in small old town near the famous city as follows.

hirakataparkguesthouse.blogspot.com/search…

California
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

The JR Pass is aimed at long distance travel, so it helps to know your entry and departure airport(s) and the sequence of travel.

If I were you, I would overnight in Hiroshima/Miyajima and see Himeji either to or from. Osaka and Kyoto are very close to one another, and you might just choose one as a base to see the Kansai ( Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Kobe and so forth). Look at a map to see what I mean.

ICOCA (or similar IC travel card) is the way to go for maximum convenience for local transportation.

Yachiyo, Japan
Level Contributor
190 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

Sorry! I misunderstand that guest will not go to Hiroshima. So, If guest go to Hiroshima, JR pass is useful.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

I suggest staying more than 2 days in Kyoto as there is so much to see and do. 5 days might be nice and from there you can take day trip to Nara. I found Osaka to be too big and hectic compared to Kyoto.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,101 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

A 7 day JR Pass will save you a few thousand yen if you use it for all the day trips and from Osaka-Tokyo. If you take a couple of day trips from Tokyo, even a 14 day pass might pay off, but I can't assess that without knowing your entire itinerary.

Kyoto vs Osaka is a personal preference. I like staying in Osaka especially if I'm taking day trips to Himeji and Hiroshima.

YKL
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo

Hi Shibuyakko, thank you very much for your suggestion. We also prefer to stay in Kyoto as Osaka is very big and busy city. We are going to be in Japan for 15 days but would prefer to buy a 7 day rail pass for the trip from Osaka to Hemiji, Hiroshima, Kobe, Nara, Nikko and the bullet train to Tokyo.

Therefore would it be better if we fly into Tokyo, stay a few days in Tokyo, hire a car for 1day to Mount Fuji, Hakone area

Then activate the 7 day rail pass

1st day - Tokyo to Nikko day trip

2nd day take the bullet train Tokyo to Osaka, based in Osaka for 7 nights, spend the afternoon and evening

3rd day take the train to Hemiji Castle

4th day train to Nara

5 day train to Hiroshima

6 day train to Kobe

7 day train to Nagoya

8 day local transport to see Osaka

buy train ticket to Kyoto and stay there for 4 days

Leave Japan from Kyoto take airport bus from Kyoto to KIX airport

Reply to: Kyoto, Nara, Kobe & Osaka, Hemiji & Hiroshima & Tokyo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted