We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5d4n Osaka-Kyoto Itinerary

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5d4n Osaka-Kyoto Itinerary

I would really appreciate if I could get some help in planning an itinerary for a 5d4n trip to Osaka and Kyoto.

Our basic itinerary is as follows:

(1) Wed Night - Touch Down@Osaka around 10pm. (Will prob head to Dotonbori provided we have the energy and its still open)

(2) Thursday Morning, Afternoon, Night - No idea yet

(3) Friday Morning, Afternoon or Night - Bullet train to Kyoto depending on whether there's more to do in Osaka or Kyoto.

(4) Saturday Morning, Afternoon and Night - No idea yet (but we will be in Kyoto by this time).

(5) Sunday Morning - Afternoon - Journey back to Osaka from Kyoto.

Would really appreciate recommendations of places off the beaten track (especially ancient like streets in Kyoto) where it would be good for photography.

Are there any must-visit places for photography geeks in both Osaka & Kyoto?

Thank You

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
47,211 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5d4n Osaka-Kyoto Itinerary

You should allocate two days for Kyoto. There is no reason to take Shinkansen (bullet train) between the two cities. It will cost you much more than regular trains and won't be much faster. There are various ways to reach Kyoto from Osaka depending on your starting point and where you want to see.

Most shops at Dotonbori will be closed but the Donki shop (selling a bit of everything from snacks to clothing) will be open 24 hours. You will also still have plenty of places to go eat well into the night.

For what to see and do with picture references, it's best to refer to Japan Guide for starters:

http://www.japan-guide.com

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
22,846 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5d4n Osaka-Kyoto Itinerary

A couple of words of suggestion:

Kyoto has much more to see than Osaka.

In Osaka, I usually recommend Kaiyukan Aquarium in the morning, Osaka Castle Park, and Namba, Shinsaibashi, and Dotonbori in the evening.

It is strongly recommended to visit Nara's deer park and Todaiji Temple.

As suggested, it does not really make sense to take the Shinkansen for such a short distance it doesn't reach its top speed in the cities. However, if you are specifically interested in trains, then go ahead.

If you like modern cities, you should like Kobe, too.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5d4n Osaka-Kyoto Itinerary

thank you for both replies, very helpful indeed. will keep in mind not to take shinkansen and will also keep in mind the places of interest which were recommended :)

suggestions for any other must visit places for good photography will be appreciated!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
7,777 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5d4n Osaka-Kyoto Itinerary

When are you planning to come? The reason I ask is because if it's spring/summer/fall you're coming, as opposed to winter, will perhaps weigh in your favor for your photo sessions. You'll know what I mean if you go to JNTO website. Kyoto,in particular, has different faces befitting it to each season. Come spring, for instance, lots of places in the city briefly turn pink because of cherry blossoms, which I reckon will offer everyone great photo opportunities. Conversely, the wintertime has a dearth of proper sites for a guy like me with poor skills and an inexpensive gadget to photo-shoot. The names of places I can come up with for your photos are, among others, 1)Kiyomizu, 2)Ginkakuji, 3)Shisendo, 4)Golden Pavilion, and 5)Tenryuji.

As for Osaka, don't miss out on Osaka Castle. Opinion may differ, but the best angle can be had from within Nishinomaru Garden: 200-yen-admission fee required.

Enjoy your trip!

5. Re: 5d4n Osaka-Kyoto Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 21:17