We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
181 posts
22 reviews
Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

I read to purchase a JR Haruka Super Express train ticket. Is the train I would take to get to the aiport? Do I buy this ticket at Kyoto Station the day of travel or can I before? Do i buy this ticket from a machine or Manned booth? Can I use a Suico Card for this travel instead? How often is this train?

Thank you

17 replies to this topic
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
9,729 posts
317 reviews
1. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

Here is the timetable of Haruka Limited Express from Kyoto (each @30 min.).

time.jr-odekake.net/cgi-bin/mydia.cgi…

You should buy its discount(@50%) trip(oneway or round trip) ticket at JR Kansai Airport(KIX) Station, as follows.

https:/…e2359_icoca_haruka.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,281 posts
171 reviews
2. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

Going to the airport, I suggest you buy before so you don't have to fumble with bags standing in long lines with your bags. If you buy the discounted package ICOCA & Haruka, you have to possess a Haruka and a passport with a temporary visitor stamp. Go to the manned ticket window. There is no need to reserve in advance.

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
181 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

Sorry I am still a little confused. Do i have to buy this discounted ICOCA & Haruka package? From reading the information sounds like you have to use this the day of purchase. Plus I dont need an ICOCA as I will be using my Suica Card for all my transportation in Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto and Kamakura and Nara).

So my question is .. Can I simply go to Kyoto Station the day before my flight and purchase a ticket on the Haruka Limited Express for a certain scheduled time and date from a Manned Booth or even a ticket machine like you can in most of Europe?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57,855 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

Yes. You can purchase the Haruka ticket at any JR station after you arrive in Japan.

Yachiyo, Japan
Level Contributor
323 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

If your hotel is near Keihan-Railway, you need not buy Haruka. You can go directry to Osaka Yodoyabashi and change to Osakametro to Namba and then Nankai-Railway to Airport. All by Icoca or discount ticket by cash.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,281 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

You never *have* to buy the package, but if you will be throwing away money if you don't do so. Even if you don't spend any of the ICOCA credit, the discounted ticket + the ICOCA refund handling fee is still 1,000 +Yen cheaper than a regular priced, non-reserved ticket.

>>>Do i have to buy this discounted ICOCA & Haruka package?

J M
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

If you have a JR Pass you've already paid for it. Just book it. We booked 11 days ahead. Otherwise follow the above advice to get a discount.

Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
609 reviews
8. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

My wife and I will arrive at Maizuru by ship and plan to go to Kyoto and then from there to KIX,

Can we get the ICOCA and Haruku at Maizuru?

I can't get an idea of fare from Maizuru as it is not listed on Hyperpedia.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,281 posts
171 reviews
9. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

You cannot buy ICOCA & Haruka at Maizuru. However, you can buy ICOCA at the nearest JR station. Once you get to Kyoto, you can buy the additional discounted Haruka ticket by showing the JR staff your ICOCA & possibly, your passport with the short-term visitor stamp (if requested).

Note that ICOCA isn't a pass. It's just a stored value card. For the trip to Kyoto from Higashimaizuru (likely the closest station to the port), the one-way fare using the Maizuru Limited Express is 3,340 Yen for an unreserved seat. Go to the ticket window to buy your ticket and ICOCA.

10. Re: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport

I took Haruka from Kyoto to KIX last year. Train departs every half hour. Do allow time for ticketing. Depending on the time, it may take you quite some time waiting in the queue.

And do consider Limousine Airport Bus as an alternative. You can purchase ticket in advance. The Keihan Bus office in between Keihan Hotel and Avanti. Google and you will see. The bus departs outside the office. Be careful you queue at the right point. Check it out when you buy the ticket.

I took Haruka twice and Limousine twice. If you take a taxi from your hotel, Limou may be better because the taxi drops you off pretty close to the bus stop. If you take a taxi, quite some walk to the train platform.

Either way, be on time. The train and the bus do depart on time.

Reply to: Train from Kyoto Station to Kansai Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted