We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City, Quezon...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Hi! I'm a Filipino, travelling to Guangzhou, China on February 2014 for leisure (5 days only). Do I need to apply for visa?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Welcome. Yes, you need Chinese visa. Every foreigner needs a visa except transit passengers staying less than 24 hours.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Travellers who hold passports from Singapore, Brunei and Japan may enter China without a visa for a stay of less than 15 days depending on the purpose of visit. These are the only exceptions, other than transit, that I'm aware of.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

I did not know that, good to know, thanks.

Normally, reciprocal visa exemption arrangements are both ways, does that mean Chinese citizens do not need visa to enter Japan? A prerequisite for these agreements is often a very low rate of visitors overstaying visa, judging by the large number of Chinese workers I have seen in Japan, not an easy requirement to meet.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

I don't know about the reciprocity. The exemption is for tourists, family visitors and business trips for those holding ordinary passports. Not applicable to workers, students etc... Of course, there are a great many more exemptions for holders of diplomatic and service passports etc. but that's a whole different subject. China is much more of a visa applicant-friendly country than many of the nations from which visitors arrive.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,665 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Wow, are you speaking tongue-in-cheek!! We have an entire HR department devoted to getting visas for our "Foreign Experts". the rules change every few months and are never published. One year they kicked out all over 60s, the next year they allowed visa renewal. One year they gave visas then next year kicked out all our Filipina teachers. The saga continues. My country, NZ, grants 3 year visas automatically to Chinese business men but it almost impossible for NZers to get a double entry tourist visa for China!!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Let them eat cake! No, I did not know Chinese visa is difficult to get, it has always been automatic, send in the passports and they came back with 1-2 years multiple entry visa, new visitors or repeated visitors, American passports, regardless of racial background. Not unusual for us to send new buyers and clients who have never been to China or outside the U.S., we are sending a new buyer in Oct, I do not recall ever need to show air tickets or hotels, not once anyone was rejected or questioned, or heard of such story from other companies.

Consider the huge population of NZ, I don't blame China for being extra careful, what if all those orcs and uruk hai overstay their visas? why do they need double entry visa? must be a milk powder conspiracy.

Sorry to hear that, sure mess up a lot people's life with such unreasonable visa policy.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Well I was talking about tourist visas as far China being applicant-friendly is concerned. Visas for work are something quite different.

Applying for an L visa to visit China is so much easier than applying for a similar category visa to visit the UK or a Schengen country and even Australia, which are the countries I have experience with in assisting Chinese applicants.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,665 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Can you give me some advice on how to make it easy then? As I said, my last several NZ visitors have been unable to get a double-entry, which ruins our weekend in Macau plans; as have recent UK & Australian visitors. Only Americans seem to get in easily. Visa officials do not answer phones or reply to emails - they frequently don't even give their opening hours on their websites.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

I am talking about the application process itself, the amount of paperwork required, and the fees involved, not about the matter of how many entries you may or may not be granted. It is difficult to get more than a single entry for a first time UK visitor unless you have the itinerary documentation to support this. Unfortunately, the advantage of being able to walk out of the country where you are based makes it extremely difficult to prove that you need two entries. I guess the same must be true for Australians and New Zealanders. The only way I know around this is to make up a viable itinerary using fully refundable bookings that you can cancel without penalty once the visa is issued. Of course, this would be impractical for very short overall visits. The point I appear not to have made as clear as I intended is that visitors to China are much less likely to be refused a visa (of some sort) than are visitors from China to the nations mentioned above because the application form and the supporting documents required by a Chinese embassy are simpler and less numerous than those required by other nation's embassies. I'd fully agree that trying to get a human response to an enquiry about visa applications is like searching for the Holy Grail.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Filipino going to Guangzhou. Do I need to apply for visa?

Depending on who and why. My guess getting multiple visa for businesspeople or buyers from AU, NZ or the Philippines are just as easy as for Americans. Each Canton Fair they claim to have 200,000 foreign buyers, door is wide open for the right people.

I have been surprised by how easy it is for Chinese businesspeople to get U.S. visa, I have seen many cases of our suppliers getting 5 years multiple U.S. visa with ease, many are small business owners and employees from small towns, it is not new, it has been that way for years and not just rich people, regular folks, at least in my case, all these Chinese went back to China on schedule.

As for work visa, that I heard that is difficult in any country.