We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a Visa?

Western Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a Visa?

Hi, we have a stopover in Oct 2012 for 15 hours and want to know if we need a visa to stay at the Pullman hotel at the airport?

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a Visa?

As the Pullman hotel is behind immigration (a walking distance away from the terminal) and "out of the airport" , you would need a transit visa:

au.china-embassy.org/eng/ls/t286322.htm

6. How do I apply for a Transit Visa (G Visa)?

You should provide the following documents:

(1) One completed Visa Application Form with a passport photograph attached;

(2) Your passport with at least 6-month validity and at least 2 blank visa pages;

(3) Visa of the destination country.

Please note:

(1) You do not need a Transit Visa (G Visa) if your transit in China is less than 24 hours and during which time you will only stay within the airport (However, American and British passports bearers still need visas under this situation).

(2) You need to apply for a Transit Visa (G Visa) if your transit is more than 24 hours, or if you have to go out of the airport regardless of the duration of your transit.

(3) Australian, New Zealand, American, Canadian, South Korean, German, French, Dutch, Luxemburg, Belgian, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Austrian, Greek, Danish, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish passports bearers do not need a Transit Visa (G Visa) if they transit via SHANGHAI and staying for less than 48 hours (going out of the airport is allowed).

(4) Please apply for the Transit Visa only 1 to 2months before your planned date to enter China.

(5) Fill in every column of the Visa Application Form, using "N/A" if not applicable.

(6) The "PICK UP FORM" you get when you lodge the application is the only proof for collection; when lost, only the passport holder himself with proper photo ID can retrieve his passport.

(7) Please be aware that no modification will be accepted once the application is lodged.

(8) Please pay for the visa on collection (Please refer to Question 11, 12 for the visa fee), and please pay in cash, bank cheque, money order or company cheque. The "payee" should be CHINESE EMBASSY.

If you booked the trip on one ticket, you can also ask your airline or just give a call to the China embassy in Australia (see link) or call the hotel.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a Visa?

Oh dear, that will be a problem as we will be in the USA for more than 3 months before we visit China on our return to Australia.. Is there anything to do at the airport to make the 15 hours go quicker?

Edited: 03 January 2012, 21:35
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a Visa?

Talk to the embassy, explain the situation, have your booking confirmations ready and they should come back with a way how to handle it.

GZ airport is not the ideal place for a 15h transit stop I am afraid.

4. Re: Do I need a Visa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2013, 21:30