We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

Hi Guys,

I post this question about what is the best travelling way (Train or Flight) from Guangzhou to Hong Kong in term of:

1) Cost

2) Time Saving and waiting between flight & Train (Total Travelling Time)

3) Flexibility / Comfortablity for family with children

is it consider international flight travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (I meant you have to be in the airport 3 hours before flight departure or 2 hours?). Or if by train how far is from Guangzhou to Hong Kong and how long time spend for passport check in the boarder, etc... until you arrive center of Hong Kong?

My concern about travelling time as the distance KM between Guangzhou and Hong Kong is not so much.

I would like to know from your experience for those who are in the forum

Thanks,

10 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

Guangzhou is only about 80 miles (~128 km) from Hong Kong. It is not worth the time flying from Guangzhou to Hong Kong, unless you are already flying in from somewhere else to CAN, and then switch to another flight to HKG.

The Through Train is simple. Just taxi to Guangzhou East Railway Station, take the Through Train, you alight at Hung Hom, Hong Kong. Border checks are done at the train stations at both ends.

If you don't mind the cost, the most comfortable way is to hire a private transfer with the dual-plate sedan or van, driven by somehow who has driver licenses on both sides. You sit in the vehicle to cross the border (hopefully they don't call you out of the car), point-to-point.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

Train 2 hours, plus 30 minutes before departure. Taxis both sides. Immigration inside station. 200 yuan pp.

Bus 100-200 yuan. Travel time 3 hours, including immigration station 30 minutes.

Limo. 2.5 hours. Immigration inside limo, 3-5 minutes. 2500-4000 yuan, seasonal.

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
197 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

Train is the best way to Hongkong from Guangzhou.fast and convenient,

it is from Guangzhou East train station to Hung Hom Station.

The first train in the morning is 08:19am and the last train is 21:32pm every day.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

Any other suggestion please what is the best travelling way (Train or Flight) as stated above in my first post question?

Can we take direct taxi from Guangzhou to Hong Kong? Is traveling between China & Hong Kong by car allowed in the boarder?

Thanks,

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

>> Any other suggestion please what is the best travelling way (Train or Flight) as stated above in my first post question? <<

You seemed to imply that posters did not address your question. Did you read the replies #1 - #3? 3 out of 3 said take the train. You want to keep asking the same question until somebody says "flight"? That's fine by us.

You cannot take a regular taxi. China and Hong Kong have 2 different traffic systems. China, driver on left hand side. Hong Kong, driver on right hand side (like in UK). Regular taxis cannot cross borders. Such service must be done by a vehicle with dual registrations (China's and Hong Kong's), and driven by someone with both licenses (China's and Hong Kong's).

They may call it "limo" service but in reality it is a regular sedan or MPV. Not a stretched Lincoln.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

My question not been answered clearly in term of: cost, time saving & Comfortability.

Also this below question not been answered:

is it consider international flight travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (I meant you have to be in the airport 3 hours before flight departure or 2 hours?)

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

And people don't understand why I won't work in Saudi anymore?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

Fly to HK, be at airport 2 hours before.

Very cheap very nice very fast.

California
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

"is it consider international flight travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong"

Yes, it is an international flight and you will be going through exit immigration at Baiyun airport and entry immigration at the airport in Hong Kong and then have to travel into the city, by train/bus/taxi/private car; and you can get a flight for about $200 USD one way. So hopefully now all of your questions have been answered, especially answered clearly "in term of: cost, time saving & Comfortability", We all would hate for you to suffer discomfort.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?

Why would it matter that much whether it is international flight (which it is) or domestic flight?

Guangzhou DE Macjourney1 already gave you the details in #2:

"Train 2 hours, plus 30 minutes before departure. Taxis both sides. Immigration inside station. 200 yuan pp."

2 hours is what it takes to TRAVEL from Guangzhou East to Hong Kong. If you fly, 2 hours is what you need to SPEND AT THE AIRPORT. even for domestic flights. And you need 1 hour to get to Guangzhou Baiyun Airport from the city. You can do the comparison, right?

Flight details and costs? You can find that out by so many online flight search engines, can't you? We don't know who you plan to fly with, and not that many carriers do this short-haul flight anyway.

Edited: 23 February 2018, 09:27
Reply to: Travelling from Guangzhou to Hong Kong (By Train or Flight)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted