We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

Dear All,

I would really like to see more of China when I am in Guanzhou. I will be there for 4 days and was thinking of taking a 1 or 2 day trip to some other cities.

I was thinking of Guilin. Is this a nice place to visit for a day or two?

Any other locations worth visiting? And would a train be the best way to get there?

Any help appreciated in advance.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

If you have only 2 days available, I would just stop at Yangshuo station rather than go to Guilin. It can be reached by the same high speed train from Guangzhou South station, in under 3 hours. Stay in either Xingping, closest to the station and more rural, or in Yangshuo itself. From Xingping you can hire a pontoon boat to take you part way toward Guilin to view the most scenic parts of the Li River and later during your short trip go bamboo rafting down the Yulong.

Yes, going by high speed train from Guangzhou South station to either of these locations is the best way to get there. I'm assuming that you have a visa and not traveling using the TWOV, where traveling to Guangxi province (location of Guilin and Yangshuo) would not be legal (though with the TWOV you can travel throughout the Guangdong province).

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,185 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

You can also fly to Xian to see one of the most amazing wonder of the world, Terra Cotta Warriors, stay one night. Flying time and cost is about same as train. It is breathtakingly amazing. Trip of a lifetime.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

Hi John,

I've done a google search and this definitely looks like a good option. Yes I have a full fledged visa :)

Thanks for the quick reply...

Cheers

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
275 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

Hi Mac,

Which airlines would you recommend? I've heard of Sichuan Airlines, Cathay Dragon and China Air. Any others I've missed?

Thanks

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,185 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

I used ctrip.com, flew from GZ to Xian at the end of a business trip in GZ. Chi a Southern and China Eastern. I am not really into mountains or rivers. About US$100 one way pp.

California
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

x5india - The major mainland China airlines are Air China, China Southern and China Eastern, but there are quite a few others,including all those you've mentioned. I tend to book any domestic airline that has a schedule compatible with my travel plans at a reasonable cost. China's domestic airlines have a very good safety record.

If going to Xi'an, flying is definitely the way to go as the high speed train from Guangzhou is about 9 hours. The price of a 2nd class high speed train ticket to Guilin will cost you $22 ($44 round trip), while a round trip economy airfare to Xi'an from Guangzhou is at least $150 and flights with a reasonable flight schedule, more like $200.

7. Re: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2018, 23:24

On the move
Level Contributor
434 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou

How much is a raft on the Li River these days.

It used to be 10 kuai last time we went but that was a while ago.

Reply to: 1 or 2 day trips from Guangzhou
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted