We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

Cromwell
4 posts
Save Topic
El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

El Rio Bachelors Pad, Davao City, PH

Don’t stay here if you can avoid it. They require one month rent additional deposit. That is fair. They have a policy that states that any damage to appliances will be deducted from the deposit. That sounds fare. Most English speaking people understand what damage done to something means. Not the owner or the employees of El Rio Bachelors Pad. What they interpret that to mean is that if the appliance fails through no fault of the customer, that customer is still responsible for replacing the malfunctioning appliance. I was lucky as it was only a single stove burner (old and very used one) that malfunctioned, but occupants should be wary as other appliances in the room are a frost free refrigerator, TV, Air Conditioner and an electrical kettle. My neighbor was charged for the electric kettle when it failed to operate anymore. The first floor at the very least has very poor drainage, the toilet often does not completely flush even when only liquid is in it. Flushing the toilet required using a pail full of water more often than not to get it to flush properly. You can’t complain about this as they blame it on you and want to collect 100 pesos to unclog it, which isn’t the problem. When I first started staying there the internet connection which you pay an additional charge for was not working. At first the complaint was ignored, and then they tried to blame it on my computer even though we had two laptops in the room and tested both. Others staying there quickly started to complain, the internet connection was still down for five days before they fixed their malfunctioning router. When my girl friend complained to the front desk that the sink was leaking they wanted 100 pesos to “unclog it” instead of fixing the sink, she ended up mopping up the water every day after doing dishes.

When I complained to the owner after five days that we had been waiting for the electric stove burner to be fixed he said that they would replace it but we would be charged for it because it was damaged. I protested that it was not damaged, it was old and worn out, that it was junk. He kept insisting that the policy was that renters are responsible for all damages and that if something didn’t work it should be reported upon moving in. He told me if I moved out immediately we would not be charged for the burner. It was only eight days into the months rent and it was much more expensive than the burner but I moved within hours of finding out just how dishonest the owner of El Rio Bachelors Pad is.

One additional note, one day while staying there the workers of the place were working on the drainage pipes and caused the sewerage to back up into my room a little and the room next to mine a lot, pouring out of the toilet and all over the floor. The place reeked of sewerage. Once cleaned up the neighbor complained that the toilet was clogged due to the backup. Even then they tried to extort 100 pesos to unclog it. They didn’t get the money, but I hope you get the idea!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,374 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

I think you should put this under hotel reviews or start a reviews for this place, as your comments are important, but will get lost in the forum. They will not get lost as a hotel review.

That policy of requiring one to pay for NON FAULT items must be in the mindset of many. We rented an apartment and the hose to the shower leaked, we were charged. The toilet leaked out back, they charged us. The door lock broke, we were charged. One of the curtains did not slide properly, we were charged etc. etc. On the brighter side, we were charged but we never paid after some other happened.

Cromwell
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

Yes I am trying to have the place added to tripadvisor so i can include this in a review :)

Cromwell
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

I also forgot to mention that an employee asked my girl freind for her cell phone number so she could be called when they could fix the stove. He sent a text to her the night after we moved out. He said in the text that he knew she didn't love me. That he didn't want money from her, just sex!!!!! LOL, I told her the two words to respond with.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

what were you expecting for approx 200 per night ?.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

Come on Clare, just because it is budget accomodation does not mean they deserve to be cheated! I stayed in a really shabby hotel in Romblon once (Muravian Hotel. DON'T stay there!) and the hot shower unit blew up while I was showering. Scared the bejaysus out of me! I'm up to my ankles in water and I could have been fried. Front desk tried to blame me and wanted to charge me!

Cromwell
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

Actually with utilities it is about P12,000 a month for a room and that does look a little inexpensive on the surface. Although I did live here before in a two bedroom townhouse in a decent neighborhood and paid around P14,500 with utilities running two air cons, cable and internet. I did have to furnish it myself. But if I furnished it like El Rio furnished the room that wouldn't cost much. I did try to play it a little kuripot instead of paying the extra 8,000P for where I really wanted to stay. In the end it cost me nearly as much anyways and the difference is like night and day. There is a pension house down the street from El Rio, rooms a little smaller with utilities/wifi included. It is 12,000p a month and does look very well maintained. Personally I have chosen to go where I really wanted to stay in the first place, it is well worth it!!!

Edited: 30 March 2012, 20:59
7. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline protecting the personal privacy of our users. We will remove messages that include real names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, street addresses, Instant Messenger handles and nicknames that are provided without permission from that user.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 22:41
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,374 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

DIMPLEZDU, first let me say this. As an owner of a place, its not wise to make comments about guests who have stayed, especially so unprofessional. Under reviews of hotels, as an example, your remarks would not be allowed and may even be removed here. For argument sakes why not just address the persons complaints about your place and not get personal, stay professional. By your remarks, just in reading them, I would not want to stay there if your the owner. Next, I know your place, its not really a nice location nor a great place, borders on being a dump. So, as one person said, more intelligent than me, people in glass houses should NOT throw rocks.

TO the OP, as stated before, please put your review under hotel reviews for others to see forever. I dont know why you even want to stay at this place.

9. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 22:42
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,374 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Rio Bachelors Pad Warning

shannon, your a one time poster who for sure is connected to the hotel. We all can see that. And why do you insult the person if you know nothing about what happened, he said, she said. This hotel is a rat trap, I wanted to reserve my thoughts earlier, but I have visited it and for sure its not a place that anyone who believes in cleanliness will stay.