We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trip to Lae

melbourne
1 post
Short trip to Lae
Save

G'day out there. I am thinking of going to Lae to visit my Uncle's grave site at the war cemetery. I am seeking advice as to suitable accoms. for 2 or 3 nights in Lae mid Sept. Self and adult son. We dont need 5 star but prob. prefer something with a pool, has been difficult to find a complete list of available accoms. and can't get a grip on the rates and amenities so I thought I would ask the experts. Also would be interested in the current exchange rates and would appreciate any other helpful info or tips. Can you get a decent cup of coffee in Lae? Thanks in advance.

2 replies to this topic
Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
181 reviews
176 helpful votes
1. Re: Short trip to Lae
Save

Hi Bill

Glad you don't need 5 star because it doesn't exist in PNG. I'd suggest checking out the Lae International and the Melanesian. The latter two are the [relatively] upmarket hotels and there are reviews of both on tripadvisor.

I'm pretty sure you can get a drinkable coffee at both; different people have different concepts of drinkable. Both the above have coffee shops.

Here's a list of Lae Hotels out of Lonely Planet

http://hotels.lonelyplanet.com/papua-new-guinea/lae-r1977027/

Here's the Melanesian's website

http://www.coralseahotels.com.pg/melanesian.html

The Lae International's website appears to be defunct but I wouldn't draw any particular conclusions from that.

I would be wary of going too far downmarket as Lae, like Port Moresby, has a high crime rate and good hotel security comes at a price. The ride into Lae from the Airport on the armoured bus is a fitting entry - mainly reflects on the hazards of the road in. Check with the hotel re where its safe to walk during daylight, nowhere is safe to walk at night.

My AMEX card is currently getting me 2.35 Kina to the dollar net of their Commission for purchases in PNG.

Cheers skip

North West England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: Short trip to Lae
Save

Gosh! I was born in Lae in '55. The Melanesian Hotel was there then! What a shame to learn of the updated crime situation.

Edited: 12 years ago
Reply to: Short trip to Lae
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lae
More Lae Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.