We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daves Car Rental question

New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Daves Car Rental question

So I know Daves car rental is approx 8km away from Boquete. My question is if we decided to take a cab from David instead of a bus to his car rental shop, what address would we give? Is the road to Boquete just one road from David where you cant miss it, or is there an actual address? When I emailed Dave, he just said it was 8km away so thought Id ask on here for more detailed response, if anyone has done it.

Thanks,

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Daves Car Rental question

There's only one road from David to Boquete, so I don't think you can miss it.

Panamanians don't use addresses, they use landmarks and other navigational aids. If Dave's Car Rental is somewhat known, probably all bus and taxi drivers will understand if you tell them you're going there. They might know it as Cowboy Cars, since that's the name I found online for it.

New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
2. Re: Daves Car Rental question

Thank you. I was going to download a map of Panama into my GPS since I am absolutely terrible with directions, and assumed I would get lost otherwise getting to our other destinations...Maybe time to rethink renting a car, unless its usually one road by that area to get through all the towns.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Daves Car Rental question

I'm not sure how useful GPS maps are for Panama. Addresses aren't used here. A quite normal address is something like "take Transistmica, turn right once you get to the road that takes you to the Wise Men Supermarket, once you get to the mango tree, turn left, my house is on the left, it's painted orange with a blue fence".

I normally use a GPS application on my phone called Waze, which is extremely popular among Panamanians, and its database is user-fed. That means that you can search for restaurants, hotels, and other landmarks and more often than not, you'll find it there, along with a fairly accurate route to get there. You'll need Internet access to download the map and set up the route whenever you're going somewhere for the first time, but once on the road, it doesn't require online access.

You could also download a map of Panama onto your GPS and try to look for a few hotels and restaurants and see if it works.

In any case, Panama doesn't have a lot of roads. For example, there's only one road from Panama to the Chiriqui province. Sometimes you have two roads for a small part of the road; for example, once you get to Santiago from Panama City, you have the choice of continuing on the main road, or take the road towards Soná, but this will join the main road once you get to Chiriquí province. Same thing when coming into Panama City, there are two different roads from Arraiján into the city, one goes through the Bridge of the Americas and the other through the Centennial bridge, but these are very short roads and they all get to the same place anyway.

New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
4. Re: Daves Car Rental question

Thank you so much for the info. Im just planning on going to la amistad area and booked a hotel there for 4 days..figured it would be great for hiking and hoping the drive isnt too far off the main road from cowboy dave hah.

5. Re: Daves Car Rental question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2016, 14:17