We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

I was looking at spending 4 days in the above areas to go hiking. I was wondering if any of you had recommendations on cheap places to stay that are within driving distance of hiking to Cerro Punta/La Amistad? Or are the two places far enough away to warrant staying at separate locations for the 4 days?

I don't need any luxuries or amenities, just a clean room and shower.

Thank you very much.

Edited: 27 May 2015, 06:26
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

I'd suggest staying at Cerro Punta itself, as it's a very nice town. Not a lot of lodging there, though, but it's worth looking into it.

If not, then look for the town of Volcán. There is a significant amount of hotels and other kinds of acommodation there, and it's very close to Cerro Punta.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

A major flash flood last year damaged the road in that area. I know it was closed up to La Amistad part of last year. Not sure whether its been reopened.

Check out Los Quetzales lodge and Celito Sur. Both very nice properties in the area.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

La Amistad (the park entrance and trail heads) is in Cerro Punta. The road is fine and there is a fairly cheap place (I think it was 36 dollars) called Hotel Cerro Punta . The bus from Volcan runs all the time and costs around 3.00. The also may be trails around Guadalupe which is just past Cerro Punta on the end of the road. Im not sure where the Quetzal Trail to Boquete leaves from but that is a popular day hike. Make sure you are going on well market trails or have a guide. There are many trails that are not well marked and you could easily get lost.

New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
4. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

Thanks for the replies. Hotel Cerro Punta looks great, however I cannot find a website or link where I can actually book the room. Do you know if they have an email address or website?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

I could not find a correct number or an email. Unless its vacation days you should not have to much of a problem with getting a room. Just ask the bus driver where you are going. I also stayed at this super cute place, kucikas.com in Bambito which is on the road right before Cerro Punta. My wife and I were the only ones there and they gave us a good discount. Maybe they would give you a good deal if you are staying for 4 days and you are by yourself.

New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
6. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

Thanks I will check that out. I figured I would rent a car from Cowboy Dave around that area so me and my friend could travel at our own pace, instead of taking buses everywhere.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

Thats a good idea. Usually you would have to go back through David to travel from Volcan to Boquete but now there is a road that connects the two but currently has to public transpo traveling it.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

If you do rent a car then its a beautiful drive on the road that geojack mentioned. Also many other scenic drives in the area.

New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
9. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

I am hoping to see a lot of plant and wildlife, so I think this area will be fine for that...now just need to hope the GPS works since I have a terrible sense of direction.

Are there designated parking areas by these parks or how does that work?

When my friend drove us to Campana National Park, he just parked his SUV right to the side of one of the trailheads, but I don't know if that's correct to do or not.

Edited: 28 May 2015, 03:20
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Places to stay near Cerra Punta/La Amistad?

Los Quetzales in Cerro Punta offers private rooms as low as $85/night and dorm-style sleeping for $18/night.

Great launching point for La Amistad--their private cabins are actually inside La Amistad national park and I believe they take guests from the main lodge up there for hikes.