We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athuruga or Halaveli?

weymouth
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Athuruga or Halaveli?

Dear all

I have got down to these 2 resorts after all the fantastic TA advice & help I have received over the last few days.

I really can't decide between them Athuruga which has no pool but AI or Halaveli their water villas look amazing but not AI. We are not great drinkers so not sure AI is a priority for us but we would like good food & service and we like to snorkel.

We have been to Anantara Veli & The Beach House before and the snorkelling was OK but nothing special.Are either of the above better than these? Which would you choose & why?

Any suggestions gratefully received as I really need to book.

many thanks for your continued help & patience

Dudeski

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athuruga or Halaveli?

It all depends on what you want.

You did snorkel at Veli, where? In the lagoon? Because Veli is at the edge of the atoll... Or at the reef far away in the lagoon? If your priority is the reef go to Athuruga, because its reef is much better, if it is not your case, go to Halaveli, it plays in a different league, that's the true.

Halaveli's reef has a lot of coral dead though lots of little coral were growing last year. In front of the water villas there is a mix: dead coral and areas with alive coral, but everywhere there's a lot of fishes, sharks,... At the end of the water villas there is a very good reef: alive coral (and many fishes again), more beautiiful as we go away from the island. it is not an impressive reef, but enough to be entertained there. I used to go everyday and this year I am coming back 2 weeks there so I will continue doing it... To enjoy better reefs you can go on a trip, and there are many great places there..

Halaveli is the first resort I am repeating and I always go just 1 week and change island, but we spent such a good time that we want to stay longer there: excellent service and though generally I am not a fan of pools, it was completely marvellous swimmimg at the sea and then going to your own pool and see all that beauty.

Wine is really expensive so if you like to drink wine at lunch and dinner, you'll spend a lot of money. We usually drink water and 1 cocktail after dinner, so our drinks bill is not that big...

2. Re: Athuruga or Halaveli?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Rangali Island