We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

“ Which one is better? One & Only Reethi Rah or Conrad Maldive ”

Mar 19, 2011, 6:31 PM

Hello, everyone!!

We are planning a trip to the Maldives for our 10 year wedding anniversary next year, and would like to go to the Maldives and stay in an overwater bungalow - a dream of mine for several years, and we're now able to pull it off. :)

Now,we're going as a couple only, and I know both resorts allow kids. I know Conrad has a separate island that doesn't allow children and they don't allow children in Ithaa, their underwater restaurant - kids under 12 years, anyway...

So, my basic question is which resort is better? ? One and ONly which is beautiful as well as Conrad. I've looked at videos on Youtube of over water villas at One and Only and I've seen photos of the "Deluxe Water Villas" at Conrad - which I think (from the photos, anyway) have a better, unobstructed views of the ocean. One and Only has those blinds that, yes, you can pull up or open, but still a little obstructive.

We're planning on going in Feb or March, and I understand that kids are on holiday during those months - the European kids -...Is One and ONly usually "overrun" with children or does their resort layout provide some privacy?

Also, which resort has the better excursions? I know both offer free snorkeling, kayaks. And, which has the better spa facilities? It's very difficult to decide between 2 incredible properties.

Has anyone out there been to both resorts to give me some tips/advice? I'd sooo appreciate anyone's input, as we'll be traveling from the mid-atlantic, U.S. I know I've asked several questions, but any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Mirihi Island Resort
Mirihi Island Resort
#1 of 1 hotels in Mirihi
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 hotels in Rangali Island
Mandhoo Retreat
Mandhoo Retreat
#1 of 1 B&Bs / Inns in Rangali Island
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

i have answered this question in your identical thread from yesterday

Rimini, Italy
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

Stayed in both (you can read my reviews here on tripadvisor) and it's really hard to say which one i prefer..

- Service: O&O. seems that nothing is impossible here. Just be prepared to pay for everything and you'll have it! : )

- Location: Conrad (O&O is also beautiful, but too big and artificial).. two islands to choose from (every night you'll have an amazing show of giant mantas swimming under the bridge), no shoes or flip flops needed for your entire trip. Consider the fact that you'll need a seaplane transfer if you decide for Conrad, and seaplanes only fly with daylight. At O&O they have their own yachts and can take you to the island/airport also during the night, so you don't have to wait for hours at Male airport if your flight is scheduled late in the evening.

- Rooms: definitely O&O ( though at Conrad they're going to renovate all the water villas during this year..)

- Food: loved the food at O&O (Tapasake is delicious) but at Conrad you have more choice of restaurants and bars.. seems that Conrad is also cheaper for food and drinks

- Snorkeling: Conrad. O&O is great if you're looking for huge lagoons, not for reefs

Overall they're both beautiful resorts, you won't be disappointed!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

Thanks so much interpol81 and spammie!! This helps immensely!!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

Just to add that you can also book a transfer by yacht at the Conrad too.

Note: I work for the resort.

MC
Level Contributor
382 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

I would vote for the Conrad!

The snorkeling there is amazing. It is a very luxurious place but without all the fuss of those new 5 star resorts. It doesn't have that "Nouveau riche" vibe. The service and food is amazing. Ari atoll is one of the best diving places and apart from some seaplanes, you don't hear those international planes that land in Male nor the boat traffic you have around Male atoll.

The two islands linked by a bridge is truly unique, yes it is a big island but it doesn't feel that way. You barely see anyone on the beach. I can go on and on....I fell in love with that place and in a couple of days it will be our 11th time in our home away from home!

Wish you all the best for your decision....

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

pitch - great description of rangali ! the nouveau riche thing is what always comes across as so desperate . it comes down to class versus bling ...

7. Re: Which one is better? Conrad Rangali Island or One & Only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 16:16