We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos/biting insects

Doha, Qatar
1 post
Mosquitos/biting insects

Going to Conrad Rangali Island in May (Yippee!!)

Can anyone advise situation on Mosquitos/insects - do we need to take loads of spray etc - also any advice on dress code - presuming casual i.e linen/cotton?

Thanks

australia
Level Contributor
820 posts
59 reviews
1. Re: Mosquitos/biting insects

Mozzies love me and I didn't get bit at all when We visited conrad December 2009. None of us got bitten including my 6 month son at the time. They fog the island regulary. Happy about that except we were not pre warned about when it would take place and I happened to be in the outdoor bath and had to run for it otherwise I would end up in a cloud of smoke! Rather funny actually! I am pretty sure they are suppose to warn you about it!! Somehow we missed out on that info twice!

It's very relaxed clothing wise - no shoes are suggested to be warn except on the bridge only because of the heat for your feet during the day! I would say smart casual though for clothes for dinner:)

Queanbeyan...
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Mosquitos/biting insects

Hi, We just returned from staying early March. Upon what I read here I did not use repellent except at the dream island (which is not sprayed I am told). A few days in the backs of my knees were covered in bites (very nasty so would be sandflies) and had to see the island doctor. I saw another girl with the same issue during my stay. 3 weeks on I still have the itching and rash so I would say spray!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Mosquitos/biting insects

If you are sensitive to mozzie bites it is probably worth using a high DEET (50%) repellant in the evenings and also taking some antihistamine tablets to stop the itching.

OD

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Mosquitos/biting insects

I was there in early March and generally used insect repellent in the evenings and also applied some the day I went to Mandhoo Island (local island/Conrad gardens). Mosquitos love me, and I did get some bites - probably less than 10 over the course of my trip - which for me, is pretty good.

They do spray the island for bugs regularly, and like luvof holidays, I got caught outside my beach villa at the beginning of a shower and had to run inside when I saw/smelled the cloud of whatever they were spraying. I did see a generic notice that they would be spraying in the next couple of days, but I think that for people who have outdoor bathrooms, they need to provide more specific information about when they will be spraying near specific villas so people can plan to avoid the outdoor shower/tub then.

Dress code is indicated on the resort's website for each restaurant. Some of the restaurants say "casual" and some say "smart casual", but I'm not completely sure what these terms mean. I think Ihat shorts and t-shirts are OK at the Rangali bar, but I tended to wear skirts or capri pants with a slightly nicer top or a summer dress at the other restaurants for dinner. At breakfast, swim coverups or shorts and t-shirt were fine. I honestly didn't notice what other people were wearing (except for a couple who were dressed completely inappropriately on the trip to Mandhoo island where local Maldivian customs apply; he was just wearing swim trunks and she was wearing a short swimsuit coverup dress that did not cover much). In general, the Conrad has a casual atmosphere and to me did not seem like the type of place where people try to outdress each other.

5. Re: Mosquitos/biting insects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 19:16