We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! Beach Villa questions..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
Please help! Beach Villa questions..

Dear travellers and Maldives fans! I have been dreaming of going to Maldives for years, and we are finally heading to Conrad Maldives in April with our 2 small kids (aged 4 and 1). I spoke to Conrad directly with some questions about their Beach Villas and didn't get very clear answers, so if anyone can help and shed some light on any of the questions below, that will be MUCH appreciated. I have read every single review of the Conrad and truly value all the tips and info. I am an extremely picky traveller and usually get very stressed if I don't get exactly what I invisioned from a trip. Thank you so much in advance!

1. Due to our small children so clearly we need the calm side of the island with shallow water. I know from research that it is the "Sunrise" side of island, but what does that mean in "room numbers"... From looking at the map of the resort, I cannot tell which side is the "Sunrise". Additionally, has anyone ever been denied a request to be on the "calm" blue lagoon and was placed on the dark choppy sea side against their will? If that happens to us, it will completely defeat the purpose of the trip so I need to know the truth...

2. The Conrad Reservation department kept telling me that we should book a KING Beach Villa since we will need a crib for the baby, as it is more spacious. However, we normally book Twin rooms with 2 Queens, but the guy seriously tried to talk me out of it. Is there something unusual about the Twin room that I need to know? Otherwise, why would a family of 4 be recommended a King instead of Twin? My husband and I can perfectly fit in a Queen bed, and that way our 4 year old will have his own bed. But the reservation person kept recommending I get the King Villa due to more space... so confusing.

3. Most importantly... I do not care if we have a Twin or King Beach Villa, as long as we are on the "calm" shallow lagoon part of the island. Therefore, I want to book the type of room strategically to ensure that we 100% get that.. i.e. if the hotel has more King Villas on the sunrise side, well then I have more chances of getting that side if I book a King.. I believe the hotel only has 3 Twin Beach Villas on the "sunrise" side if I understand the sides corectly... Ugh, I am so stressed... please someone help!

4. Also, I know everyone is raving about the Deluxe Beach Villas, but it seems to me (based on all the pictures) that the Deluxe Beach Villas do not have an outside patio with sitting area facing the ocean and the beach. Instead, the Deluxe Beach Villas look like their Patio is facing their private garden with pool. That is great, but why would anyone want to go all the way to Maldives and not be able to sit on their deck and enjoy the beauty of the lagoon? Basically, we are booking a Beach Villa instead of Deluxe Beach Villa only because we want to sit on the patio and have DIRECT ocean view and access to the beach. If I am mis-informed, can someone please correct me?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Please help! Beach Villa questions..

i would suggest that you send a private message to kanthony or wait for her to find this topic . she'd be in the best position to answer your questions

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
520 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Please help! Beach Villa questions..

I'm not sure whether you might have the Sunrise/Sunset sides around the wrong way?

As you know from looking at the map of Rangali, there's the main/beach villa island and the water villa island. We stayed on the far side of the water villa island (i.e. NOT the side that faces into the lagoon between the two islands, but the one looking out to the edge of the reef and the ocean beyond) and our villa (Superior Water Villa #335) was facing the sunset - we used to sit out and watch it every night. Therefore I'd assume that beach villas on the main island that look across the inner lagoon towards the water villa island, would be looking in the same direction (towards the sunset) and the ones on the ocean side of the main island would be facing towards the sunrise.

UPDATE: Have just found my map of Rangali, and it shows the compass directions on it. Deluxe Beach Villas 124-140 and Beach Villas 101-123 face towards the west (sunset) and DBVs 209-212/217-239 and Beach Villas 201-208/213-216 face towards the east (sunrise). Sorry I don't know which are king villas and which are twins, but as spammie said, kanthony would be able to assist you with that.

Hope this is of some help.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
3. Re: Please help! Beach Villa questions..

Thank you so much for the feedback thus far! I think I had the right idea then, because I thought sunrise side of the main island is in fact the side that is facing the ocean, not the over water villas. So I guess the main question now is, which side of the main island is facing the lighter colored water, i.e. more shallow lagoon? From the looks on the satellite, it looks to me that the darker/deeper ocean is the one between the main island and over water villas island, whereas the other side of the main island is facing the lighter/shallower water. Ok, I know I probably sound crazy, but it's just important to me to be in the shallow light blue lagoon as opposed to choppy dark blue sea side...

Also, if anyone has ever stayed in the Deluxe Beach Villas, did you have a patio with chairs overlooking the ocean and direct beach access from your room? (by direct, I mean through a glass sliding door, not the main entrance door).

Again, thank you for any feedback!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Please help! Beach Villa questions..

Dear chipovsk

Hello from Conrad Maldives Rangali Island. Hope I can help with some of your questions:

1. The entire island is surrounded by a coral reef, so no matter which direction you're facing, the water tends not to be 'choppy' as it's all relatively calm lagoon. That said, the side of the main island facing Rangali Island has a steeper drop so the water is deeper. These villas are all numbered from 100 upwards. The side of the main island facing out to sea tends to be flatter and shallower. These villas are all numbered 200 and up. The island is not aligned perfectly north/south so the 100 side of the island tends to be more westerly facing (sunset) and the 200 side of the island tends to be more easterly facing (sunrise). HOWEVER, the 200 side will have higher waves rolling in from outside the reef barrier while the 100 side tends to have smaller waves. The trade off then is shallower water with waves or deeper water with fewer waves. We've seen small children playing happily on both sides of the island, so it may be that you're overestimating the problem.

2. The bed in beach and deluxe beach villas is made of one permanent piece of terrazzo. If you book a twin, what you get is two mattresses on the same base with a small gap between the mattresses. There are only a few rooms that have twins rooms so you would be better advised to book a king bed which gives the resort greater flexibility in accommodating you. All rooms have a daybed which we convert to a bed for one of your children and then a crib for your youngest.

3. Please note that no hotel can guarantee you a room in a specific location. If you request a room on a particular side of the island we will do everything possible to make it happen for you but we can't guarantee it. We don't - to use your phrase - force guests "against their will" to do anything and this also includes moving other guests out of their room in the middle of their holiday because you want to stay there. If there is a room available on the side of the island that you want to stay, then it will be given to you. If all the villas on the side of the island that you want to stay on are already occupied by guests when you arrive, then we will move you to your preferred villa as soon as it's possible to do so.

4. The deluxe beach villas and the beach villas both have their sundecks in the same place: attached to the villa facing onto the garden area. In the deluxe beach villas, this garden area is large and also has a private pool. Note that ALL of the beach and deluxe beach villas are given privacy by greenery planted in front of the villas so you won't get great sea views from any of the terraces. ALL of the beach and deluxe beach villas have access to the beach from sliding doors from your bedroom, through the garden area.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
5. Re: Please help! Beach Villa questions..

Dear Kanthony!

Wow, thank you very much for your detailed responses, you really did answer all of my questions very well. Do you still work at the Conrad?

For some reason, I thought Beach Villas have a deck with unobstructed view of the sea.... I think I saw a photo like that somewhere, but I could be wrong.

My husband and I have stayed in over-water bungalows before, in St Regis Bora Bora, French Polynesia, (the best place on earth!). Ever since then I wanted to check out Maldives to compare. However, this time we will be travelling with kids and I didn't realize Conrad does not allow kids in over water bungalows until just recently, and started exploring Beach Villa options to see if they are worth travelling across the world for... (as a side point, in French Polynesia hotels do allow children in the over water bungalows. Not to say I disagree with Conrad's policy, as I am sure accidents can happen, but I also think it should be parents' decision and liability, and I just wonder why there are different policies applied to same type accomodations in different parts of the world... but that's neither here nor there..)

Most importantly, I hope I didn't come off rude when I inquired if Conrad could refuse me a Beach Villa on the shallow side of the island. I think it is a very valid question. Resorts that are located in such exotic locations as Maldives, where people have to travel half way across the world and spend tens of thousands of dollars, should manage their inventory in such a way where such important requests can be granted by pre-assigning rooms to customers based on the order in which requests are made or based on one's status (i.e. we are Diamond VIP members for example).

For example, having stayed in two types of Over Water Bungalows before (one in the shallow water and one in the deep water) I can honestly say that these are two completely different types of experiences. Yes, most normal people would be so thrilled to go to Maldives or Tahiti and experience this unreal beauty that they would not have a care in the world as to what part of island or lagoon they are placed in, or maybe some people just don't any any better or simply don't care. However, I know for a fact that for some people with special needs (or dreams), it can make a significant enough difference as to where they are placed, enough to make or ruin their vacation.

Let's not forget, vast majority of people who come to Maldives have probably been planning it for years, spending a huge fortune and day dreaming about their perfect vacation based on all the advertising they have seen and reviews they have read. However, before travelling half way across the universe, they should do as much research as possible, and make sure they request the type of accomodation that suits their needs and dreams. While to many Conrad visitors, no part of the island is better or worse as there are trade offs to each, there are also some people who have been hugely dissapointed because they didn't get what they came there for, or what they expected. I have read every single review of Conrad, and I know this is the case as people often compain about being on the "wrong" side of the island, and yes, to some people it really does matter and their vacation is TURNED AROUND, literally, when the hotel moves them to the preferred side.

..Anyway, sorry for my ramble, but I feel very strongly about this. The resort should be able to accomodate such requests way ahead of one's arrival by managing inventory and pre-assigning rooms. I know it's not fool proof and I am not looking for a 100% success rate, but I am a dreamer and I guess this is what would happen in a perfect world, at a perfect hotel.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Please help! Beach Villa questions..

Dear chipovsk

We absolutely agree and that's why I wrote that wherever possible we'll do everything we can to accommodate your requests.

We do also ask your understanding that we can't guarantee your room request in advance because it does depend on what other requests we're also managing.

All of our guests are imporant: many are diamond or gold members, a huge percentage are 'special' (ie: honeymooners, anniversaries, special occasions) and a fair few have other requests (such as families, celebrities or people with special needs) who all need to be accommodated.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Please help! Beach Villa questions..

chi ... for all this is worth .. i can assure you that the conrad is an outstanding choice of hotels and i know from experience that the staff cares deeply and very personally about fulfilling everyone's special requirements.

like Kanthony explained .... every guest has spent a lot to be there ... its everyone's dream and many or most feel they deserve "special" status of whatever sort. no hotel in the world however .. or at least no honest one ... can give you any kind of written guarantee to promise a certain room. but .. even if all was to fail and you'd have to be in a villa not where you wanted for a little while - you'd be sure to be moved within a very short time.

another thing i can tell you from experience .... micro-managing your vacation to death will end up achieving nothing but causing you stress and dim your joy in looking forward to the trip. there is planning .. and then there is driving yourself crazy over minute details which you will find were totally not worth a second thought.

you are going to have a wonderful time!

if you are really upset about the baby in watervilla rule ... to my knowledge , centara is the only maldivian resort that allows toddlers in them. the island is very family friendly ... in my humble opinion not nearly in the same class as rangali, however

Edited: 27 January 2011, 18:10
8. Re: Please help! Beach Villa questions..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2012, 16:28