We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort for shallow water?

Lancashire, UK
2 posts
Best resort for shallow water?

My wife and I have been hoping/planning/meaning to go to

the Maldives for the past few years, but as 2011 is our 10th

wedding anniversay, and with prices going through the roof,

we have decided that it's now or never...

The problem is that we are non-swimmers, so we are not

bothered about snorkeling/diving/house reefs, etc.

I know that should make choosing a resort much easier,

but we have become obsessed with finding an island with

a 'classic' shallow, sandy lagoon. I know some of you

complain about having to paddle/wade out for half a mile

to get to the reef and/or deep water, but that is exactly

what we are looking for!!

However, I understand that studying pictures of resorts in

brochures/official websites is pointless, as the depth of

lagoons/beaches can change from year to year due to erosion,

so does anyone have any up to date info on the most 'paddling

friendly' islands which have beachfront villas* with an in room

internet connection?

*or even water villas which are above shallow, sandy water,

rather than a reef?

MARK

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

Mark

With very few exceptions most have shallow lagoons around them .

I think you would be better listing what budget (roughly) you are planning to spend, does it include transfers and board. When do you want to go and for how long.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

Look at Meeru or Ellaidhoo both have beach front rooms and shallow waters and both have WBs.

But as said nearly all have a type of lagoon, the islands that have house reefs will have deep water close to shore.

Rumps

Lancashire, UK
2 posts
3. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

Thanks the the quick responces...

Regarding budget, I was hoping for no more than $1000 a night

(bed and breakfast) for a week or so in February 2011 including

transfers, taxes and fees, but not including flights, as I have a few

air miles to use up!

My favourite so far is the Conrad, but a few reviews have claimed

that it has become overpriced (compared to other 5* resorts) since

the brand change from Hilton, so I'm a bit unsure...

Would the Conrad be a good 'fit' for unfit non-swimmers?!

MARK

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

i would toss out anantara veli and dhigu ... but a budget would help immensely

Rethymnon, Greece
Level Contributor
115 posts
5. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

I agree with Spammie, your best option is Anantara Diggu and Veli.

Cheers

Sakis

australia
Level Contributor
827 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

I can't give too much information on other resorts but I have been to Conrad exactly 1 yr ago. I had my 6 month old baby with me and we stayed in a deluxe beach villa on the reef side. There was a fantastic soft beach which I swam with no shoes and never had any problems and paddled around with my little boy. It is called barefoot luxury! We just sat on the edge and would go in for little dips. In particular from approx 201 - 212 on the resort map www.clubairtravel.co.uk/maldives/conrad/ it is very shallow (well was when i was there) as it's protected by a wall in the distance (not ugly I might add). Yes the resort is very very expensive but it is also very nice. Beautiful rooms and lot's of choice for restaurants and dining experiences if your into that :) Also has very nice spa for treatments if your into that as well.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

I would suggest Anantara Dighu (the island of Veli is quite ugly and Dighu is more luxurious... Lagoons on both sides of the island, sunrise and sunset have really shallow water: they have even digged to create a channel for boats, so imagine... The water around over water gets until your waist more or less...

On sunrise side you only find lagoon until Naladhu (another resort), and on the sunset side you have lagoon until the reef, which is very far...

Another option is Rihiveli, though it is a less luxurious hotel, but it has another incredible shallow lagoon... And also Chaaya Hakuraa Huraa... But I prefer Anantara Dighu if you can pay it...

I don't know exactly about Conrad's lagoon, but for sure you will like it very much, I suppose that maybe people who have gone there several times can appreciate differences between the old Conrad and now, but I don't think rest of people do...

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

Hi Mark,

By reading the replies from every one, I would say that if your realy looking for a shellow lagoon, to take Conrad, (Conrad is just purfect in that way, as it's a place fro every type of holiday makers.

If your really looking for a luxury bearfoot resort in Maldives Conrad is the best.

9. Re: Best resort for shallow water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 14:19