We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shah Alam traffic + renting a Scooter

Germany
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shah Alam traffic + renting a Scooter

Hi there,

in early 2009 I will fly to Malaysia and work for a company in Shah Alam. It looks like it would be best to live in Shah Alam, because commuting from KL might be a terrible experience...

So I would like to rent (or buy maybe?) a scooter and drive from my flat to the company. Is the traffic in Shah Alam as bad as in KL? Is it rather safe to drive there as a foreigner?

Btw, is it possible to rent a flat / apartment (must be furnished!) near Shah Alam´s KTM Komuter station for approx. 5 months? Because after that time I will return to Germany.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shah Alam traffic + renting a Scooter

Hi alex09,

Scooter-renting is not a normal thing in big cities in Malaysia. Unlike places like Langkawi Island or other island resorts, the demand of such services is not huge given the cheap cost of ownership for such vehicles.

Prices starts anywhere from USD1000 for a 4-stroke underbone 'cub' to more than USD20K for high end makes.

One thing you have to bear in mind is that the weather would be a challenge as the torrential rain would render riding unsafe, and most bikers would stop and take shelter.

You might also might want to invest in a good raincoat, because a slight drizzle would make your front half completely wet in a second, riding at 60 mph.

Shah Alam's traffic is really lame compared to KL as it has much wider roads and less traffic.

As long as you are licensed to ride, you shouldn't have to worry about riding a bike in Shah Alam.

There is a KTM Komuter station at Batu 3 (literally translated to 'the 3rd Mile'), but furnished apartments should be available. Just tell me your budget and I'll get some Real Estate Agents to contact you via e-mail.

Germany
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shah Alam traffic + renting a Scooter

Hi st_hannes,

thank you! I sent you a PM.

3. Re: Shah Alam traffic + renting a Scooter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Shah Alam
More Shah Alam Topics