We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

HI All,

I have posted on a Malyasia Forum and for KL but just want people's specific experiences of Mosquitoes in Borneo. We are going to be travelling to Kuching, Batang Ai and kota kinabalu. I have been advised to use Deet formula both day and night and Malara Tablets when we are in Batang Ai. Just want people's experiences!

thanks

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,793 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

I use a DETT based tropical strength repellent. I do not use Malaria Tablets as I have found the side effects are not worth it. However, I am not a medical practitioner and you need to consult one on this issue.

Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

I got back from borneo two weeks ago and got the chikungunya virus from a mosquito there. It is very important to use repellant day and night. The daytime Mosquitos carry dengue and chikungunya. Nighttime Mosquitos carry malaria. Use deet, but don't let the Mosquitos stop you from doing anything.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

Also depends where exactly you will be in for example, Kuching and KK? More time in cities or mostly out in the rural parts (Bako etc?)

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
557 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

Just back from a month in Sarawak & sabah did use both a deet base & non deet based depending on where we were & time of day. To be honest had more problem with sandflies than mosquitos!! Also took anti malarials with no side effects (of course everyone is different)

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

Hi all thanks for your messages. In Kuching and Kk we are seeing the sites but we are going or see the oranutgans so will make sure I have feet based spray and will take the anti malarial just in case.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

I obviously meant DEET based spray not feet!!!! Will wear it day and night. Thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

Give your clothes a spray aswell if you're going into the jungle, they bit through my tshirt in Kinabatagan!

U.K.
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

Never had much of a problem i go to Sabah & Sarawak twice a year every year I usually just spray in the evening never bothered with any malaria if I am outside especially near water and rivers.

It's a very low risk area especially around The towns, cities, and resorts slightly higher risk in inner jungle areas but would recommend daily sprays 2/3 times a day as bites can me more annoying than any great risk also you might find it worth while to take some garlic capsules I found it can act as a deterrent against these pests.

U.K.
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

Never had much of a problem i go to Sabah & Sarawak twice a year every year I usually just spray in the evening if I am outside especially near water and rivers I have never bothered with malaria tablets.

It's a very low risk area especially around The towns, cities, and resorts slightly higher risk in inner jungle areas but would recommend daily sprays 2/3 times a day as bites can me more annoying than any great risk also you might find it worth while to take some garlic capsules I found it can act as a deterrent against these pests.

U.K.
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: People's Experiences Mosquitoes in Borneo

Never had much of a problem i go to Sabah & Sarawak twice a year every year I usually just spray in the evening if I am outside especially near water and rivers I have never bothered with malaria tablets.