We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore to Kuching

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rsa
australia
Level Contributor
770 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore to Kuching

Hello, Does anyone know the best way to get to Kuching from Singapore. Is there a fast ferry? Some of the airfares I have looked up are very expensive. Air Asia travels from Johor Bahu to Kuching. Is that a hassle? Hope someone can help me. Many Thanks Russell

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore to Kuching

There is no ferry.

Your options are Singapore/Silk Air directly to Kuching or Air Asia from JB to Kuching. It’s not too big of a hassle to get to JB from Singapore. It’s an easy drive across the causeway. You can take a bus or taxi. A bus is of course slower but cheaper. At the taxi station there are often people making the same trip though and you can share the fare which makes it cheaper. The fare is around Singapore $40 if you don’t share.

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
179 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore to Kuching

hi Russell.

By all means, use Airasia from JB coz it cost a bomb from Spore to Kuching. Learning the hard way! >USD250 from Spore to Kuching.

Check Airasia website from promotion fare (travel Tues-Thurs to get cheaper fare).

Taxi - new gv good advice. USD20 shall see u from Spore to Senai Airport. Easily available too. Bargain for the fare before u start the journey and pay when u disembark. Nothing to worry though.

Have a gr8 holiday.

James

Kuching Malaysia
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore to Kuching

You may already have the answers -- no fast ferry I know of. Perhaps a container ship -- check Google for those ships -- its very intersting if you have the time. Air Asia is ok if you have more time and patience than money. Figure on blowing at least a day on cancelled and delayed flights, waiting in airports (bring food) etc/ -- it flies to Kuching from Jahor Bahru, KL and some through Kota Kinabalu . Uncomfortable, cramped, surly office staff, unhelpful website, no information given at the airport -- you and your fellow travellers on your own, walk great distances in the rain, no frills, no safety instructions in English, and lucky to get a plane to leave. Also limited checkin and carry on luggage. But cheap! Try Silk Air, the low cost Singapore Air partner -- I've heard it's better, but have not tried it.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore to Kuching

Hi Russell, I am flabbergasted with birdswandtres comment on AirAsia. It would be directed straight to Air Asia Datuk Tony Ferdanes.

In fact, from Singapore, get to Kranji MRT, and there is a shuttle service provided by Air Asia to take you to City Lounge in JB city for your onward journey to Senai Airport.

Visit airasia website and go to flight info and click ground arrangements.

As for SilkAir, a one way fare to KCH from Singapore is SGD241.00

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore to Kuching

Hi RSA - I'm about to make the same journey that you did (Singapore - Kuching). Would you mind telling me what you did in the end and how it went?

Many thanks!

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore to Kuching

wimbledon...

last month we travelled singapore to Kuching...we used air asia via sentai (jb airport)...it worked well and saved us a bomb on malaysia air or silk air flights from sg to kuching.

air asia was the equivalent of australia budget airlines and i imagine easy jet.see the singapore board for extensive discussion of getting from sg to jb airport.it is an interesting journey in itself.

the only surprise was having to clear immigration at both jb and kuching.Apparently the sarawakians don't want too many peninsular malaysians over there.

London, UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore to Kuching

Jacko, we had to do the passport thing as well, going to and from peninsular Malaysia and Sabah. We were told it was a mainland Malaysia requirement. Sabah and Sarawak are the newcomers to join the country, and apparently not fully trusted yet, or something.

Kuching
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore to Kuching

Quote "We were told it was a mainland Malaysia requirement. Sabah and Sarawak are the newcomers to join the country, and apparently not fully trusted yet, or something." /Quote

Haha, no, it's the other way round. When joining Malaysia, Sarawak could have its own laws in a few areas, one of them being immigration. Sarawakians are free to travel to the Peninsular without a passport, but not vice versa. And I suppose no one bothered to change that law.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore to Kuching

My friend bought Singapore to Kuching direct flight by Malaysia Airlines for about RM800 returns.

If you still think it's expensive, the only choice is to travel through Johor Bahru then continue to Kuching. Malaysia Airlines also sometimes have promotional websaver fare from Johor Bahru to Kuching starting RM198.00 one way (excluding tax).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore to Kuching

Hi there,

If you are travelling with a partner then you might consider flying with SilkAir. They have promotions every now and then but the hassle is watching out for the sale periods. They have all sort of rules like you have to make your outbound (from singapore) by when and back to singapore (inbound) not more then 14 days.

The return fare is SGD89 - SGD109 before taxes (SIN-KCH-SIN). Taxes are such headache and heartache. They some time are as expensive as the fares themselves. Total tickets for 2 persons return are from SGD410 (include taxes) - the only thing is not having to do the transit from singapore to johor by flying with SilkAir.

Check out the promotion tickets at www.silkair.com then go "Promotion" then "Hot Deals".

Good Luck,

Claudia