We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wildlife river cruise in Sarawak?

Which Kuching hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
wildlife river cruise in Sarawak?

Hi

We have made a choice between Sabah and Sarawak and are opting for Sarawak . But the one thing I am sorry to let go of is the Kinabatangan river cruise. Is there anything similar/comparable in Sarawak?

Thanks

kathryn

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wildlife river cruise in Sarawak?

Your best option is to spend a couple of days in Bako National Park - not far from Kuching, you have a great chance of seeing wildlife.

Even going deep into the jungles of Sarawak (where few tourists go) you will find it hard to see wildlife. The density of prime jungle works against you.

London
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wildlife river cruise in Sarawak?

Thanks. Is there anywhere in peninsular Malaysia that would give a similar experience? The river trip up to Taman Negara from Kuala Temblingor upriver to Kuala Trenggan, for example. Or anywhere else?

Thanks

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wildlife river cruise in Sarawak?

I have done the river trip to Taman Negara and did see a bit of wildlife - a couple of Hornbills off in the distance and a couple of otters playing on a sand bank - that was it.

I don't know of anything else in West Malaysia - sorry.

Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wildlife river cruise in Sarawak?

Only wildlife i have seen in and near kuching is as follows.

1. Dolphins at Santubong. This trip was a tourpackage.

2. Leaf monkeys (saw the same at Bako) at entrance to Permai

3. Wildboar, Proboscis Monkeys, Leaf Monkeys, Long Tailed Macaques at Bako NP

4. Small toothed palm civet at Gunung Gading NP on night walk and a lot of insects, very interesting

5. Proboscis monkeys, Crocodiles at Telaga Air and firefilies too

6. Turtles and i think a brief glance of dolphins at Satang besar island

7. Hornbills at Tanjung Datu NP

All the above with the exception of the first was arranged by the host i stayed with but am sure you can find your way to these places on your own with some contacts already available online.

5. Re: wildlife river cruise in Sarawak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 16:33
Get answers to your questions about Kuching
Recent Conversations