We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orangutans in Borneo?

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Orangutans in Borneo?

Travelling to Malaysia in march and was wondering where to go to see the best nature/orangutans in Borneo? suggestions would be very helpful

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

There are good viewing opportunities at the rehabilitation centre/ sanctuaries:

Shangri-La Rasa Ria (near Kota Kinabalu)

Sepilok rehabilitation centre (near Sandakan on the east coast)

In the wild, we saw orang-utans as well as other wildlife in:

Danum Valley (Borneo Rainforest Lodge is a great splurge if you can afford it - primary rainforest). You can fly from KK to Lahad Datu and staff from BRL will pick you up at the airport)

Kinabatangan area (easy to combine this with Sepilok/Sandakan) - this is great for wildlife viewing from boats especially the famous proboscis monkeys and is great for viewing but much busier than Danum Valley (a different experience) and is hemmed in by palm oil plantations.

We didn't go to Rasa Ria but it gets good feedback on here and if you are only in KK, would be worth doing. If you want to explore Borneo a bit more and go trekking then include Kinabatangan area and if you can afford to splurge, Borneo Rainforest Lodge.

We also flew to Mulu in Sarawak for the famous bat exodus as seen on Planet Earth - it was great for insects, butterflies etc but not for bigger mammals.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

In terms of (Malaysian) Borneo, you have quite a few options, including:

Rehab centres (semi wild)

Sabah

Sepilok (near Sandakan)

Sarawak

Semmenggoh (near Kuching)

Wild

Sabah

Danum Valley

Tabin Wildlife Reserve

Kinabatangan River

Sarawak

Batang Ai National Park

You should be aware that given the endangered status of Orangutans, its never guaranteed that you will see them in the wild. The rehab centres will provide an alternative in a 'semi wild' environment - it depends what you are looking for.

Another place that has a good range of wildlife (but no Orangutans) is Bako National Park close to Kuching - proboscis monkeys, silver langur and macaque monkeys, snakes, bearded pigs and more can be spotted here.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,773 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

If you don't fancy the flights, then there is a rehabilitation centre 2 hours from Penang. Not quite like Sabah but it is less travel.

You won't go wrong, however, with Rasa Ria and / or Sandakan, especially if you get to see the Proboscis monkeys as well!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

ok ok thanks a lot. which airport would be the most useful to fly to?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,764 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

If you are flying into Sabah (Malaysian Borneo) from KL or elsewhere you will fly into Kota Kinabalu. If you want to go to Sandakan you will have to fly from Kota Kinabalu to Sandaken.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

Above covers trips for Orangutans in Sabah, if you choose the Sarawak option then you would fly to Kuching - with KL or Singapore being the two places with the most direct flights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

alrightt thanks to all

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

oh yeah one more thing :) how much time do you need to see borneo decently?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

i would say about 3 weeks if you have the time!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,764 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orangutans in Borneo?

I have visited many times and am planning my 8th trip. I will be visiting places I have not been before. My usual stay length is at least 2 weeks And I have probably spent at a total of at least 25 weeks in Kota kinabalu and Sabah and I still have a lot to see. How long you need will depend on what you want to see. Have a look under top questions on the right and more on Kota Kinabalu on the left for some ides of the many things to do.

Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu