We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving from tanjung aru

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
leeds
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
diving from tanjung aru

hi all, any info (costs, quality) of scuba diving from Tanjung Aru resort, i am a keen diver and would like to do at least 3 dives while there in October, any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diving from tanjung aru

Hi porkswordpaul,

The Dive Centre at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru is run by BeachBum, you can check out their facebook page at:

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=inbox&action=read&tid=id.177389215658919#!/pages/Beach-Bums-Borneo-The-Thousand-Wonders-of-Sabah-Borneo/164061706967802?sk=wall

Not sure about their cost & quality, have not used them before.

But if you are a keen diver, do not missed out diving at Mantanani Island, the underwater scene should not be missed!

Nickie

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,638 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diving from tanjung aru

Mantanani Island is a fair way from Tanjung Aru. Up to a two hour road trip (depending on traffic) plus a 1 hour boat trip.

Check out divedownbelow for diving in and around Kota Kinabalu and further afield in Sabah.

http://www.divedownbelow.com/

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: diving from tanjung aru

Hi guys,

Sorry to contradict with bigw,but i went to Mantanani Island over 10 times,took only 1 hour by road+40mins by boat. I usually took off from KK City which is pretty near to STAR.

It may take up to 2 hours by road if you join Seabug for Mantanani tour,coz they usually will make quite a number of stops before they take you to the jetty. Go for other company instead,it will not take more than 1 hour road trip to get to the jetty.

Cheerz!

Nickie

4. Re: diving from tanjung aru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 10:35
Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: diving from tanjung aru

I have also been to Mantanani many times and I have never managed the trip in a simple 1 hour 40min door to door particularly if traveling from the South of the City such as STAR, If the sea conditions are anything other than perfect the the boat transfer alone can take up to 2 very uncomfortable hours (this is an open sea island look on the map)

I know that this is Sabah Girls preferred recommendation for diving but for someone wanting a day of diving from STAR I don't think its the best choice, As the above self promoter says there is lots of diving available on your doorstep in the TAR Park and many operators to choose from.

Enjoy your diving in Sabah wherever you choose to go it's a wonderful place

6. Re: diving from tanjung aru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu