We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach resort

Which Kota Kinabalu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WA
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach resort

Hi all

My wife and i are going to Kuching and KK in July

We wanted to finish our trip with 3 nights at a beach

Resort I was trying to Budget for around 150 aus per night for the room .We like a resort where we can go to local Eateries We dont mind flying to another place in Malasia jf need be'

. Any help and advice would be great. thanks Rob

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach resort

Hi RobWA,

There are 5 Main Beach Resorts here in Sabah, Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort, Rasa Ria Resort, Nexus Resort Karambunai, Pacific Sutera & Magellan Sutera.

As you would like to go for local eateries, resort near the city would be an ideal choice for you. That would be either Pacific Sutera, Magellan Sutera or Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort. Room rates for all 3 resorts are slightly higher than your budget though, the rooms are priced at an average of RM550 or more.

Nickie

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach resort

Hi RobWA,

i would suggest for you to stay at either Pacific or Magellan Sutera, they are the nearest resorts to town. At the moment, they provide free shuttles to town too.

If you do not mind walking, you can walk to Harbour City or KK Times Square for some local food. You can find "Kak Nong Restaurant" at Harbour City that serves very good Malay cuisine.

From Sutera Harbour - Harbour City or KK Times Square, it will take approximately 15-20mins by foot.

Nickie

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,645 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach resort

I would like to point out that Sutera Harbour does not have very good beaches. It is built on reclaimed land and the beaches are artificial and very small. That said, it has a lot of swimming pools, around 5, and you can easily get over to the islands of TAR Park from the Sutera Harbour Marina, at a cost for the boat trip.

If you want a resort with decent beaches you will need to go to Nexus of Shangri-la Rasa Ria but they are probably outside your budget. I am booked at Rasa Ria late March for two weeks and I am paying around AUD 210 for a Garden View room with breakfast.

Also both are not withing walking distance of local eateries. You will need to decide your priorities.

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach resort

Hi,

i do have to agree with bigw, resorts with good facilities and nice lon beach is a distance away from KK City. Nexus is abou 35km away while Rasa Ria is a little further than Nexus.

Sutera Harbour is not my favourite resort, but it has the best location if you plan to stay near city, If i am given a choice to choose between nice beach and city, i would go for the beach.

Enjoy your stay!

Nickie

WA
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach resort

Thanks everyone for your help and advice

cheers Rob

6. Re: Beach resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 16:22
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu