We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Your Favourite...??

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's Your Favourite...??

Headed to KK in June with a family group (aged between 18 and 55)... we're a pretty mixed bag, so I'm looking for a bit of inspiration. I've been reading the forums for a little while now, but I want to know what YOUR favourite spots are, and why :)

So, for those who are willing to share... what's your favourite:

Casual Restaurant

Fancy Restaurant

Bar/Nightclub/Pub

Shopping Spot

Beach

Kota Kinabalu
Destination Expert
for Sabah
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

Hi!

Can i propose for you to stay in KK Time Square? There a 4 hotels there at the moment, it's my new favourite hang out! :-)

The hotel prices range between RM88-RM150. Rooms are nice & decent.

It has great pubs with good live band, good eateries with Japanese, Western, Malay food. Good massage place that offers good traditional massages.

Enjoy Sabah!

Singapore
Level Contributor
291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

Casual Restaurant - TC cafe in Kg Air. (Not pretty by any stretch of the imagination, but 100% authentic, the beer is cold and cheap and the food is some of the best (and cheapest) in the city)

Fancy Restaurant - Little Italy. If I need a table cloth, this is where I go.

Really Swanky - @mosphere. If you want special occasion fancy then you can't beat it.

Bar/Pub - BB Cafe on Beach Street. Cold beer. Chicken wings. Pool. Live music. What more do you want?

Nightclub - RAWK - Out in one of the suburbs (don't expect every taxi driver to know it), but way, way more genuine than Bed and distinctly less cheezy than Razz-ma-Tazz. If you want the most uptodate then Firefly in KK Times Square is the happening spot of the moment, but be warned, its Sardine packed most nights.

Shopping - Wander through the fruit and veg market early in the week too and pick up Mangos, Rambutan, Langsat etc. They cost nothing and will keep you in snack food for your whole trip

Beach - When I want beach I head north. Hire a car, keep the mountain on your right and practically every minor road on your left will lead to the sea eventually. 10km of fluffy white sand to yourselves? Pantai Dalit, Rampayan Laut, White Rocks, Sikuati, Pantai Kelambu, Northern Tip of Borneo. They're all spectacular and worth the drive, especially if you overnight in Kota Belud or Kudat. The snorkelling also gets better the further from KK you go.

Elizabeth Town
Level Contributor
146 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

Little Italy is not afancy restaurant at best it is a basic compentent pasta house that nobody would give a second glance in Melbourne. There would be 25 better Italian Restaurants alone in Lygon Street melbourne. There are no high quality restaurants in KK. The seafood is ok but I think overarted!!The only swanky restaurants unfortunately are in the best hotels and they charge you Australian restaurant prices! After a trip to Kuching 6 months ago I was looking forwrad to dining in KK but unfortunately it is just very basic fare - nothing special!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

He didn't ask for a comparison with Melbourne, he asked for OUR favourites. Little Italy just happens to be mine. Please be nice on the forum.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,987 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

Try Ocean Sea food near the foreshore, or further out of town, Gayang seafood on the way to Tuaran. You will need to get a taxi to Gayang. For really authentic Tuaran Mee go to Tuaran, Restaurant Adys.

Elizabeth Town
Level Contributor
146 posts
364 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

HI,

I was being nice. The question i answered is though re a fancy restaurant. In no way can Little Italy be called a fancy restaurant and thats a fact. It is a compenetnt but basic Italian Restaurant. Very pleased that you like it.

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
299 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

Hello Snoobs

Here's my 2c

Casual Restaurant - Party Play in Lintas Plaza (near Brass Monkey which a better known landmark for taxis) is a fairly new restaurant, interesting decor and fresh approach to serving dishes. The food is varied, mostly western, but with a few local dishes if you fancy. The food is delicious, reasonably priced and well presented. Service is also sharp so far, so a good experience overall.

Fancy Restaurant - Fancy is relative in the city, because no venue has a strict dress code that would turn you away like say Ferdinand's in The Magellan Sutera or Pepinos at Shangri La Tanjug Aru (both of which are nice, but expensive). But fancier than average - my favourite is La Fuente in 1Borneo. Spanish concept with tappas and a good mains menu, nice desserts and a nice selection of wines and beers.

Bar/Nightclub/Pub - For a social drink I prefer Hito on the Waterfront - they have RM16 for a pint of nice, fresh Guinness on Mondays and if they don't have live music it's a nice relaxed setting. For a rowdy night out with a group of people Firefly is good - but like another contributor said - it gets packed, so get there early and stake a claim on a table not too near the stage if you value your hearing. Before 9pm it's RM78 for a tower of beer (3 odd litres of beer).

Shopping Spot - such is the nature of KK that you can't get everything you want in 1 spot. There's a strip of local trinkets & handicraft in Asia City, brand names in Warisan Square and allsorts in Centre Point. They're all in proximity to each other, so I guess that area of town would be my favourite. Gaya Street Market on Sunday is interesting, if nothing else.

Beach - The beach at the Shangri La Rasa Ria is unbeatable. Wide, snow-white stretch of fine sand and you can go there as a day visitor, maybe as a day out together with going to see the Orang Utans there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

Hi there,

We were there in July. You can't beat the waterfront strip for casual restarants - I LOVED the indian place Kohinoor. We didn't bother with anywhere fancy... The waterfront has heaps of bars too and a great place to enjoy a beer while watching the sun set over the TARP islands.

We liked going through Wisma Merdeka shopping centre, and KK centre, but there's mainly local stores and not great shopping. People recommend going to 1Borneo.

There's no beach in KK town iteself so maybe head out to the islands - my favorite was Lankayan island but that's not KK. We only saw Gaya and Sapi islands - neither had a great beach...

Hope this helps :)

- K

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

Peppino in Shangri-la Tanjung Aru Resort turn you away because it has a dress code? NEVER in a million years! We have dined there on several occasions over the years and they turn a blind eye whatever clothes people are wearing. One New Years Eve there was even a Taiwanese chap in tatty shorts and T shirt. We wish they would ban casual clothes - it lowers the tone of the dining experience especially when most people make the effort to dress up

10. Re: What's Your Favourite...??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2011, 14:16