We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather better in August or October

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
83 reviews
Weather better in August or October

Hello, Im contemplating a trip to KK. What would be better if any difference in weather in either early August or early October. Is 2 weeks in KK okay or too long?

7 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Weather better in August or October

Hi,

Try not to put too much emphasis on the weather during your trip, in my experience - generally the west coast of Sabah (Kota Kinabalu) sees slightly less rain than the east coast (Sandakan), there is no real dry season, rainfall is similar from May through December, the two monsoon seasons are not particulary distinctive.

Generally speaking its hot and sunny in the morning, through to early afternoon, then short rains late afternoon, clearing to cloud, and then often raining overnight.

Daytime temperature doesn't differ much throughout the year - noone can predict the weather - i would say go whichever month suits you best of those two.

As for if two weeks is okay in Kota Kinabalu, it depends what you want to do. Wildlife mostly surrounds central and eastern areas, throughout the forests of Maliau Basin, Danum Valley, Kinabatangan and Tabin, although there is also plenty to see and around KK area, including Kinabalu Park repost about your interests for more information.

Also - take a look at the "Things to Do" link at the top of the page.

Edited: 14 November 2018, 20:11
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
163 reviews
2. Re: Weather better in August or October

Big Tone72,

Two week in KK?

As mention the "things to do" tab will help with a few ideas, many activities are a half day, so there is still time to explore the city/town.

The marine park has five islands to visit do one a day that's five days sorted. Sunset cruise or visit locations to watch the sunset that's five evening sorted followed by food/drinks etc.

As signprint mentioned I would go with the month/ dates that suit you best, have a look for Chinese or other religious holidays/school holidays that may affect you flight/hotel bookings, look at the events page on sabahtourism dot com they may also have an event you would like to visit so you'd be covering two items there.

Hope that is enough to get you started. repost here if your stuck.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
83 reviews
3. Re: Weather better in August or October

Thank you David & Signprint for your replies. I will be with my wife and two kids and want to mix sightseeing with culture & relaxation. It looks asthough its no issue between Aug & Oct in regards to weather & seems to be plenty to do and see. Thanks again.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Weather better in August or October

Well, if you just want culture and relaxation, and not at all interested in the Wildlife side of Borneo, then KK might be okay for two weeks, personally, i would split it - a week west coast, and a week east coast.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
83 reviews
5. Re: Weather better in August or October

Sorry and Wildlife too.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Weather better in August or October

Well, for wildlife, you would want to be over near Sandakan, perhaps basing at Sepilok.

Based on your international flights in and out of Kota Kinabalu (KK).

I would suggest splitting the time between coasts. Starting at KK, for a few nights, then heading over to Sandakan, for a week, and ending back at KK for a few nights more relaxation before onward flight.

Look online at Sepilok, perhaps visit Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary, Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre, Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre, Rainforest Discovery Centre.

Then look at Kinabatangan River, Tabin Wildlife Reserve, or Danum Valley, all accessible from Sandakan overland.

Edited: 16 November 2018, 19:54
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
163 reviews
7. Re: Weather better in August or October

BigTone72,

As mentioned in post 6 there is plenty to see. Don't limit yourself to the web all places mentioned can be double checked here on TA type it into the search bar and collect some extra valuable information , using both you should have a super trip planned.

As always repost if your stuck.

Reply to: Weather better in August or October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kota Kinabalu
Recent Conversations