We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible to hire a taxi Tawau airport to Lahad Datu at 1630?

Ashland, Oregon
7 posts
Save Topic
Possible to hire a taxi Tawau airport to Lahad Datu at 1630?

After completing the scuba diving portion of our trip, my wife and I will be arriving at the the Tawau airport at approximately 16:30 on August 30th, and we need to get to Lahad Datu for the night for our tour that starts the next day. How difficult would it be to hire a taxi from Tawau airport to Lahad Datu at 1630? Approximately how much would the taxi cost? Do we need to pre-book the taxi ahead of time, or can we just show up at the airport on August 30th and arrange this taxi on the day of? Are there any other suggestions?

Note: We cannot fly from Tawau to Lahad Datu on August 30th due to scuba diving restrictions within 24 hours. We also have to be at Lahad Datu on the night of August 30th due to pre-booked tours.

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Tawau
Tawau
Tawau Division, Malaysia
Lahad Datu
Lahad Datu
Sabah, Malaysia
1 reply
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible to hire a taxi Tawau airport to Lahad Datu at 1630?

jamesjano,

I cannot directly help you but this is what I know.

It is dark at or just after 1700hrs.

It is 362km/ 226miles Tawau to Lahad Datu by road. Add one hour clearing the airport.

This is where you should consider booking in advance with a travel/tour operator it may seem expensive when sitting at home. But if your in a mini van and someone else is driving you to your next dive it is money/time well spent if you do not have sleep before diving.

Factoring in the above time of arrival and the possible weather disruption, travel back and forth for the taxi driver in the dark the price may be a third higher. Personally I would pre book because of the distance/hours/darkness.

This is only a best guess on price as it is always changing RM450/£90 for that distance. I am sorry it is not more helpful. They do have a "haggle" system for fares. But. I have found it is better to pay the fare, you then arrive on time , you visit the palaces requested and arrive i.e. at sunset as you requested.

Pay a lot less and you "may accidently arrive just after the ferry has left."

repost here if your stuck.

Mentioned in this post
Tawau
Tawau
Tawau Division, Malaysia
Lahad Datu
Lahad Datu
Sabah, Malaysia
Reply to: Possible to hire a taxi Tawau airport to Lahad Datu at 1630?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted