We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang or Langkawi?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Penang or Langkawi?

Hello, i am looking at malaysia for my fiance and i. We will be spendin 4 nights in kuala lumpur.

Than want to got to a beach resort for 10 nights. Where is best for close restaurants, a couple of sights to see andn nice beach resort to stay in?

Thank you

Andy

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,774 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

Hi

Penang has more to offer, Langakwi has better beaches. You could do 5 nights in each, easy to get between, and to / from Kuala Lumpur

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

I would maybe spend more time in Penang than Langkawi ..but its each to their own...say 3/4 nights Langkawi at the most ...but be warned that the sea is not really for swimming at either place ..stay to the hotel pool ....whislt many will tel you that swimming in Langkawi is fine ...both places have stinger jelly fish that float with the tides and wind currents and if happen to get stung ...well you will know it for sure

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

You know something..............I get really fed up of people saying that Langkawi isnt that a nice a place to go because of the jellyfish, I was there last week and found it a really beautiful island, the sea was good and yes there are jellyfish there but not every metre around you, there was people swimming there and enjoying the waters.

I went to Penang last year and stayed in Georgetown and found it a dirty, smelly poluted place, with open sewers and people disregarding the environment, but saying that I only visited Georgetown maybe its only the Capital thats bad.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

the jelly fish are also found at beaches in Penang and hotels have warning sign advising NOT to swim ..but yes people do swim many do not get stung ..but there are those that do ..and likewise in Langkawi ..thus it be better forewarned ..and then make your own decision

Shame you did not venture ..it would appear ..out of Georgetown

Georgetown for the record is heritage listed...open sewers..in 20 years have never came across one..guess it depends where you go

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

Hi,

Personally I prefer Penang - more to do and better food. Langkawi is nice for a relaxing holiday and exploring the surrounding islands. So It depends on what you want to do. Georgetown in Penang is more of a business area and not the beach area - Batu Ferringi is, which is very pleasant. I would suggest 3/4 days in Langkawi and the rest in Penang.

Happy Planning

LINDSEY

Cheshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

I think we have decided on penang as there seems to be a bit more culture and things to do. We are looking at Shangri-la rasa sayang in Batu Ferringhi.

Does anyone know if there are plenty of restaurants in that area?

Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

Plenty of places to eat in Batu Ferringhi around the night market which is a very short taxi from your hotel. Eating is our favorite thing to do in Penang and I think you are spoilt for choice. Long Beach hawker center being my favorite in BF. Have a quick look through the BF forum and I'm sure you will quickly find heaps of places.

I have witnessed a lady getting stung by jelly fish at BF. She was only knee deep and instantly welted up when she walked up the beach. I couldn't believe it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
695 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

We stayed in Penang and Langkawi recently. And one night in Batu. We loved Penang but it is more Asian city than resort style holday. Amazing food. Langkawi is great for resort type holiday and nice scenery around the island. Batu is a beach with strip of hotels and night markets/hawker market, around 20 mins out of Penang.

I would not particularly recommend staying for 10 nights in Batu. The beach is not very clean and I did not swim there (not many people seem to). I did swim on Langkawi and also went on a snorkelling trip to nearby island. Batu is a bit down at heel, fun for a visit from Penang, but not a glorious beach by any means. And not 10 days for me at least! i would do 5 nights Penang and 5 nights Langkawi. By all means stay a night out at Batu if you like. We stayed with family in Penang and absolutely loved it but we did have locals to take us around.

Elizabeth Town
Level Contributor
146 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

i agree with Carosydney. I'd go for some time on both. It is a very cheap flight to Langkawi from Penang and only takes 30 mins or less.

BF is no where as nice as the beaches that you can find on Langkawi. The only hassle I have with langkawi is the cost of the better resort hotels - they are expensive when compared to Thailand, The beaches are much nicer on langkawi, A tip, the Berjaya Langkawi can be got at very good rates through a couple of sites mystery hotel deals. There is plenty to do, my favourite is a days sailing around the islands.

I also think Penang is great but not as good a beach resort destination as langkwai. That said the rasa sayang is a good choice, nice hotel, The pool is really good.

Cairo, Al Qahirah...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Penang or Langkawi?

i'm going on my honeymoon so which one is more suitable, i'll go also Kuala and Singapore