We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas day 2011 in Penang?

McLaren Vale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
christmas day 2011 in Penang?

We are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel, 2A and 2 kids and are wondering if anyone has some fantastic recommendations on where to have Christmas day lunch or dinner?

The hard Rock is doing buffets, but just looking for comparisons, your thoughts and experiences.

thanks

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

Great post, hope you get some replies- we will be spending Christmas in Penang too this year. Can't wait.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,255 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

Hi

When we have Christmas Day in Malaysia, we don't have a typical day that you might have at home (in watching the TV in UK or on the beach in AUS). We shop . . . . . . and sightsee . . . . and then have a nice meal somewhere.

The Hard Rock is at the far end of Batu Ferringhi beach, and Batu Ferringhi is not that lively, so most celebrations will be centered around the hotels.

You may find Christmas Eve in Georgetown will be fun!

Enjoy!!

McLaren Vale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

we will be in Georgetown on New years eve, got any great recommendations?

McLaren Vale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

where are you staying toddlertales?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

TravellingMitch that sounds like heaven to me as it was my turn to cook for 15 this year - oops ! My immediate family ie dad and brother will be with us (2 adults, 1 child) so I figure I'm in charge of dinner reservations and we will no doubt all be happy with a bottle of lovely champagne and a dozen satay sticks !

Cellardoorwine - shangri la rasa sayang. Going to start counting the sleeps soon !

Edited: 05 June 2011, 21:22
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

The champagne will not come cheap .....most hotels do have a function on both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve..when we spend Christmas in Penang we take a few presents with us and gather on the beach to exchange our gifts at sunrise ..all the hotels get into the festive season and decorate the foyers etc which presents a very warm feeling ..Christmas Day..those not working generally spend the day with the family ..but remember this is a muslim country by majority

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,255 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

Hi

Expect to pay and arm and a leg for wine and Champagne at the Shangri-la!!

As for new year, similar to Christmas Day, not much going on around Batu Ferringhi, but you get some lovely celebrations on the Padang in Georgetown and its where most of the locals head for the celebrations, and the E&O sometimes has a nice celebratory dinner, plus its not far from the Padang so you can see the fireworks.

Have fun!!!

Pitlochry, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

We will also be in Penang for Christmas and New Year and are looking for something 'a bit special' to do during these times. Just thought I'd 'bump' this post up a bit to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

we have in the past ..and will again this year be spending New Years Eve in Penang..we will see in the New Year at our favorite hotel which always puts on a great night...as far as Christmas Day .. we did do this a couple of years ago and my wife ..self ..daughter ..and grand daughter ..we spent Christmas and New Year in Penang ..Christmas Day we gathered on the beach and exchanged gifts..it was different but did not have the same feeling as gathering round the Christmas Tree on Christmas day at home

The hotel put on a great Christmas EVE dinner and show ..but it lacked the feeling of things back home with mums and dads ...uncles...aunties ...etc etc.... I guess it is what we each imagine this time of year to be ...there are firworks and all that ..but it is not the same as having all the family round you to say I love you and things important......just my thoughts

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,255 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: christmas day 2011 in Penang?

You will either find it very christmassy, or lacking any christmas lustre!

Unless you have had a christmas overseas then it will be very different.

Not much has changed since the earlier posts!