We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to and around pulau pangkor

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
153 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to and around pulau pangkor

Hi, i m planning to go pulau pangkor but i am wondering which jetty is better in terms of better car park and ferry punctuality - lumut or marina? We ll be coming from penang and going back to kl after pangkor, so both jetties are considered "on the way" .

Will it be tough to ride bicycle around the island? I read that some road can be very steep and winding. I have not cycle for long time and my physical fitness is so-so, usually yoga and brisk walking exercise only. Will it be too challenging.

Mainly i need to get from my hotel at bogak beach to nipah beach, to the dutch cemetery, fishing village and the restaurants.

Renting a motorbike is not an option since none of have motorbike license although we both know how to ride.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

Hi,

use Marina island jetty- much shorter ferry ride duration.

Not so chaotic as in Lumut and if you are lucky can catch sight of pangkor laut resort private yachts.

yep on some stretch..well I had even walked before when staying at Pan Pacific(when it was known at that time) to Bogok,and then took the van taxi to town.

The stretch to reach Nipah ,if remembering passing thru Tortoise Bay--well if you are on a bike and not so confident, best to alight and walk with bike..more so when those pink taxi van comes around.

IF one has not done bicycle for a while, the muscle around the groin area is the one that will be strained the most..and if still wanting to take the hill challenge whilst riding the bicycle..even it comes with those gears.... your forearm could feel the strain if not used to it.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

Hiya the first thing to remember is if you are duin the ride around the island ...FIRSTLY you must wear a helmet.!! I have seen and heard of people having accidents on the roads after being hit by cars and other motorbikes.

Also.

You risk getting a lovely fine if you are caught without a helmet on.

Many of my friends who have done the trip around the island on their bikes have set off early and not got back till evening as it can be very hilly in parts also when your on your ride you do want to stop and rest look at sights and also to keep fluids up in the heat.make sure you coverup and lag the sunscreen on . seen a few people come back to base the colour of lobsters and very sore as whilst your riding the sun is burning you all the while

Pangkor is an amazeing island you will love the views on your ride.just use your noggin ! Where are you staying whilst there ??

Edited: 27 August 2015, 21:07
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
153 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

Thank you for the replies.

Mkiaratravel, I will take the ferry from Marina jetty then since the ferry ride is shorter. Pan Pacific was later named Pangkor Island Beach resort, which unfortunately closed down for total rebuild. I will have stay here if it's still open.

I went into google map and can see the road around tortoise bay seemed quite winding. Quite worry about that part.

Maggieomx, I'll probably be staying at Sandy Beach Resort at Pasir Bogak. Think I can walk from the jetty to the place? Google map estimated it as 30 minutes walk through the town.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

hiya iv walked from pasir bogak, but that was with no luggage , id say its 30 -40 minutes depending how fast you walk lol

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

hiya iv walked from pasir bogak to the town and it takes around 30-40 minutes and that was with no luggage and all depending how fast you walk the walk you will take is,get off at the ferry terminal, then bypass the town then its the road to pasir bogak

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
153 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

Hello, i am on the ferry now on the way back to marina jetty. The ferry is old but thumbs up to its crew for departing sharp on time, which is very rare in malaysia. Really love their services.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

hiya oh yes they are rather old ,,,but they run on time and get you there in one piece !! lol !

Ipoh, Malaysia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

I do not have license,though i am very good at bike... can i get a bike for rent ?? what r the chances of getting caught by police ??

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,878 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

Hiya you could get a bike when on pangkor but i think it would be unwise as the roads can be dangerous and some of the car drivers are a shade advenyurous !! To say the least also if you are unfortunate to have an accident it would cancel your insurance out also visitors are getting pulled over for not wearing helmets n getting big fines

I think you would be silly to chance it

P.s everyones a very good bike rider ....untill they have or cause an accident !!

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to and around pulau pangkor

Is there any land transfer can be arrange in Pangkor from Jetty to Sandy Beach Resort?

Any suggestion/contact details?

Thanks in advanced.

Get answers to your questions about Pangkor